Honest researchers are required

Integrity is very vital in research as it involves other people’s lives, either directly or indirectly. Most researchers are interested in the information they want to gather and tend to forget about the emotions, beliefs & morals of the person they want to involve in their research.  Benatar (2002) says that:

Researchers are generally privileged people many research subjects are among the most vulnerable in our world, living under the worst conditions of deprivation and exploitation.

Most research that is done is mainly for improving or creating new solutions that are faced in the world; such as health problems, economic, natural resource shortages and etc. The subjects are the people living within that community, they’re vulnerable therefore their emotions, beliefs, needs and morals have to be considered. They should not be exploited or used for the researcher’s benefit only. That is why it is important for the researcher to be honest about their project, clearly explain and formulate an understanding with the subjects. This will help build their relationship, their own research will have accurate results and also reduce the amount of expectations from the subjects if they’re researching for educational purposes and not to change their lives for the better.

One thought on “Honest researchers are required

1. Hello Faith
    After reading your post i feel like you need to add your opinion and how other posts or other writers change your thinking on this topic .
    I like that you added a link that takes me directly to the article, well done on that. Your grammar is fine. I hear you telling me about literature on this topic which is good but i would like to hear your personal opinion as well. What you think integrity in research is? I also like that your piece is simple, short and straight forward. Please add some references at the end.
    Thank you