Integrity in Research:

Research Misconduct can be characterized by fabrication, falsification, or plagiarism in proposing, performing, looking into investigate, or in detailing research results. 

• Fabrication:  Making up information or results and recording or detailing them.
  • Falsification: Controlling research materials, hardware, or forms, or changing or overlooking information or results with the end goal that the research isn’t precisely spoken to in the research record. 
  • Plagiarism: The appointment of someone else’s thoughts, procedures, results or words without giving fitting credit.
  • Research Misconduct does not include fair blunder or contrasts of feeling. 

Research Integrity incorporates the utilization of legitimate and unquestionable strategies in proposing, performing and assessing research. Detailing research results with specific regard for adherence to rules and regulations, and following generally acknowledged proficient codes or standards. (Korenman, 2018).

Research Integrity is crucial in light of the fact that it builds trust, and trust is at the core of the research process. If you had to put out false information and people believed what it was you were enlightening only to later have to come out as false information, you would be disregarded and most likely not used in any further research acquiring processes.

However, the greater scientific community can only improve and thrive when its individuals work together as a body to deliver an atmosphere advancing certainty and trust in ones discoveries. This will encourage free and open trade of research materials and new thoughts; thereby individual and corporate responsibility will be maintained, recognizing the scholarly commitments of others in the general community.

References:

Korenman, S. (2018). Chapter 1 – Practical Elements of Responsible Research Conduct. Retrieved from https://ori.hhs.gov/education/products/ucla/chapter1/page04.htm

2 thoughts on “Integrity in Research:

1. Hi Kai

It is interesting that in your opening paragraph, you used the phrase research misconduct instead of the integrity. Just in changing the words it makes your think of it from a different angle. I liked how you summed up the definition first and then broke down each word clearly using the bullet points cleverly.

In the paragraphs where you mentioned the consequences of not using integrity in research such as being disregarded. It really made me think of how serious those consequences are. As we do research in our studies now, I didn’t fully grasp how serious it could be. Therefore your piece has given be perspective and will make me even more cautious and aware of the integrity in research I need during this final stretch of our studies and if I decide to study further.

I think the piece has covered the topic well but I think what could be interesting is if you look further into the consequences of research misconduct and if you can find someone who has written a personal view about it.

I think the flow of your piece worked well. Don’t forget to in-text reference the definitions in your bullet points and then reference it well at the bottom. Also the last two paragraphs, are they from literature or personal thought? If it is from something your research don’t forget to reference or if its personal, maybe say “I think” or something similar within the paragraph to clarify it.

I enjoyed your piece as it made me think about how careful one needs to be when following the rules and regulations not just in research.

2. Hey Kai
    Your piece was very well validated and compressed. I liked the way you kept it short yet thoroughly indepth as well as the way that you unpacked the meaning of intergrity in research . It really gave me a better understanding of what exactly intergrity in research means.

I do agree with you that research integrity is crucial in order to build trust, and by putting out false information your research may become disregarded and no longer justifiable, thus us as clincal practitioners are expected to uphold such intergrity when conducitng research in order to furthur our skills and knowledge.

On that not i do feel that maybe you could have related it to an experience you may have faced in clincal practice, whereby this may make the piece more personal. I would love to hear how it related to a personal clincal experience you encounter.

However your blog has a very logical flow and is well formatted with no grammatical errors

Good work