Integrity in Research

Research integrity involves using authentic and verifiable methods in proposing, implementing and analysing the research data. It also involves complying to the rules and regulations when analysing particular research outcomes. Lastly, research integrity also uses accepted professional codes during the research process (Buckwalter, Tolo & O’Keefe, 2015).

There are many scientific misconducts in researches that ranges from very obvious ones to very subtle and insidious ones. According to Buckwalter, Tolo & O’Keefe (2015), the scientific misconducts include fabrication, falsification and plagiarism which are well explained with examples in their research study. In addition, the researchers also include methods that ensure integrity in research. These include information on different evidence based of trial designs. In more recent studies, researchers have used the placebo-controlled double-blinded clinical trial to ensure accuracy as it allows appropriate analysis of the research being conducted and statistical support (Buckwalter, Tolo & O’Keefe, 2015). Another method to ensure integrity in research is using plagiarism-checking software, where researchers can copy and paste their work on the software and it will detect if the work is not being plagiarised (Buckwalter, Tolo & O’Keefe, 2015).

However, researchers are still not adhering to integrity in research. According to Buckwalter, Tolo & O’Keefe (2015), “research progress is sped up through deletion of “bad” data that can be rationalised and justified inappropriately”. Therefore, in a clinical setting, this research will affect the clinical community and patients in a negative way as the research lacks integrity which results in false outcomes.

“No legacy is so rich as honesty.” – William Shakespeare

Referring to the quote mentioned above: “no legacy is so rich as honesty”. I agree with this quote as having an honest research will lead to honest and helpful results that will actually benefit the community. I also agree with the article, integrity in research remains a critical issues because there are still published articles that are being removed from sites due to lack of integrity in research. However, this is also an eye-opener. On the grounds that if I do publish an article or even simple an essay for assignment, that the work is honest and that all credits are given where necessary.

2 thoughts on “Integrity in Research

1. Good day Michelle

I like your approach in showing the strategies that can be utilized in ensuring integrity in research, which include the placebo-controlled double blinded clinical trials to ensure accuracy, and the plagiarism-checking software to prevent plagiarism. I love the statement you made about how lack of integrity in research can actually cause how to other people using it.

I feel like you can improve, by expanding more on the listed scientific methods and also incorporating some personal experience or challenges faced with research integrity.

your logical structure was also good, linking the definition with the latest implementations to assist in improving research integrity, but feel like you can expand more on other implementations.

In overall, it was good piece and I enjoyed reading it.

2. Hi Michelle.

Your writing piece was very interesting in the sense that it had a flow that made it easy to follow and understand.

After the definition you provided, you went into describing the main research misconducts seen. I loved this because as a reader trying to understand something, examples always make it easier. I would’ve appreciated more detail given with regards to those misconducts.

With that being said, it was great that you had applied references throughout, which allows readers to read further into your piece to understand what is being said better.

The grammar used in your piece was very professional with minimal spelling errors. Your piece looked at all the necessities for this task: a definition, the concepts involved, and the reality of the topic today. All while keeping the piece short and to the point.