Research Integrity

Integrity describes both individual researchers and the institutions in which they work (Definition of research integrity, 2018). For individuals, it is a characteristic of moral character and experience. For institutions, it is a matter of making an environment that supports responsible conduct by embracing standards of trustworthiness, excellence and lawfulness that notify institutional practices. For the individual scientist, integrity represents above all a commitment to intellectual honesty and personal responsibility for one’s actions and to a range of practices that characterize responsible research conduct (The national academic press, 2002).
These practices include:
• Intellectual honesty in suggesting, performing, and reporting research;
• Accuracy in representing contributions to study suggestions and reports;
• Fairness in peer review;
• Collegiality in scientific interactions, including communications and sharing of resources;
• Transparency in conflicts of interest or potential conflicts of interest;
• Protection of human subjects in the conduct of research; and
• Adherence to the joint responsibilities between investigators and their research teams.

Intellectual honesty in proposing, performing, and reporting research refers to honesty with respect to the meaning of one’s research. It is expected that researchers present proposals and data truthfully and communicate their best understanding of the work verbally and in writing. The descriptions of an individual’s work found in such communications frequently present
selected data from the work systematized into frameworks that stress the conceptual understanding rather than the chronology of the discovery process (The national academic press, 2002). Clear and precise research records must underlie these descriptions, however.
Researchers must be advocates for their research conclusions in the face of collegial skepticism and must admit errors. An example of this is when researchers make mistakes and have to withdraw information after it has been published. However, what if we as physiotherapists have been using those research as reference for treatment methods? The patients then suffer the consequence because the treatment received is not viable and based on incomplete or incorrect data.

Precision in representing one’s contributions to research proposals and reports necessitates the task of credit. It is anticipated that researchers won’t report the work of others as if it were their own. This is plagiarism. Moreover, they should be truthful with respect to the contributions of colleagues and collaborators. Choices regarding authorship are best predicted at the outset of projects rather than at their completion (The national academic press, 2002). In publications, it should be possible in value to specify each author’s contribution to the work. It also is expected that researchers truthfully acknowledge the precedents on which their research is based.

It is expected that researchers present proposals and data honestly and communicate their best understanding of the work verbally and in writing this is expected even now at a fourth year level at university where the author of the work we are using is being acknowledged. Hence, why we reference the work that was taken from someone else. In my experience I found this to be quite challenging as at times as I tend to wait on the last minute to start with an assignment,
thus rushing to complete work and end up looking for a few synonyms to avoid quoting the author this is a reflection of lacking research integrity as it is nearly stating the authors work as is and not presenting and communicating the authors research honestly. In addition, in clinical practice we have to do research on respective treatments that is proven to be effective before
treating our patients and in this case research integrity is to acknowledge the author that we got the information from and not present it as our own work.

References

Definition of research integrity. (2018). Retrieved from https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate information/definition-of-research-integrity/

The National Academies Press. (2002). Integrity in scientific research. Washington, D.C.

One thought on “Research Integrity

1. Hi Jamy.

I like that your heading is brief, to the point and allows your reader to determine whether or not the writing piece interests him or not. However, it may be more eye catching should you try creating a heading that is creative yet concise. In addition, I like the fact that you introduced the topic of “Integrity in Research” before highlighting your experiences in relation to the topic. This ensured that I have a brief understanding of what your writing piece is about.

You’ve listed a few practices that characterize responsible research conduct. “Fairness in peer review” is one of the listed points that caught my attention. This is due to the fact that we have performed several peer reviews as students particularly when engaging in group work. Perhaps you could share your experience or thoughts regarding this topic. I know that my review is often false, especially when reviewing a peer who has not been fully committed and contributing as well as the rest of the group.

I like the fact that you’ve made reference to ways in which errors made by researchers may affect your treatment in a clinical session. Perhaps you could read up on “Retraction of an article” and elaborate on how the lack of integrity in research leads to it.I have added a link(to a website) below that may be beneficial should you aim to elaborate on the underlying causes of article retraction.

I would suggest that you split the following sentence into two as it may be a bit too long:” It is expected that researchers present proposals and data honestly and communicate their best understanding of the work verbally and in writing this is expected even now at a fourth year level at university where the author of the work we are using is being acknowledged.” Perhaps you could add a full stop after the word ”writing” and then formulate the rest of the sentence as a new one.

I am able to relate to your experience mentioned in the last paragraph. This is something that I tend to experience majority of the time. I tend to merely re-phrase what the author states instead of reading with understanding in aid of using the author’s idea to enhancing my understanding.

I hope that my comments guide you in a way that will enhance your writing piece.

kind regards.

https://www.editage.com/insights/what-are-the-most-common-reasons-for-retraction