Halinka Paarman 3635198 PHT402 final

My Name

Nomgqibelo Ncamisile Mnqhibisa

Look what they have done to my name……..

the wonderful name of my great-great-grandmother

Nomgqibelo Ncamisile Mnqhibisa

The burly bureaucrat was surprised

What he heard was music to his ears

‘Wat is daai, se nou weer?’

‘I am from Chief Daluxo Velayigodle of emalu podweni

And my name is Nomgqibelo Ncamisile Mnqhibisa.’

Messia, help me !

My name is simple

And yet so meaningful

But to this man it is trash…..

He gives me a name

Convenient enough to answer his whim…..

I end up being

Maria…..

I…………..

Nomgqibelo Ncamisile Mnqhibisa

by Magoleng wa Selepe

This poem was written in response to the Apartheid era in South Africa. The name “Nomgquibelo Ncamisile Mnqhibisa” is a isiXhosa name. The name is from emaMponweni – a isiXhosa clan in the Eastern Cape, and when said correctly it a beautiful and rhythmical name. In many African cultures, names are asked for and even prayed for. Often fathers go back to their hometown to announce the birth of their child to the elders and the ancestors and once the elders and ancestors have accepted the child into the family, the name is then only given to the child.

The name “Nomgquibelo Ncamisile Mnqhibisa” of great importance to the person as it was previously her great-great grandmother’s name. This shows that the name has great value as it forms part of her family history and shows how the family wished to continue the legacy of the name.

During Aprtheid, the white officials would ‘rename’ people of colour in order to make it easier as “Nomgquibelo Ncamisile Mnqhibisa” for example, was difficult for the white officials to pronounce. This took away the identity of these people and the meaning of their name was completely disregarded. The beauty in this name is compromised for the convenience of those who cannot pronounce the name correctly. The Burly Bureaucrat is a man who offers very little respect for this woman as he would just rather call her Maria: a name that is very meaningless to her. The white beaurocrat does only as he is told and so lacks emotional and intellectual abilities and thus a name is worthless and should rather be something that is convenient for him to say. The beuarocrat is unable to see that this name was given to her by her parents. It is a name that they had the right to choose and now it is being taken away in order to fit in accordance to the white preference and it is seen as “trash”.

Throughout my studies, it has been emphasized to us as students to treat our patients in a holistic manner. We are constantly reminded to look at the patient as a whole and to treat them in such a way in order to be able to get them functioning to their previous level in their specific environment.

In reality, we refer to our patients by their folder number and the notes within their file. We look at our patients according to the medical condition with which they present. We forget that outside of our cubicle they are normal human beings and not just a patient with a condition. Even within our cubicle, the patient is more than just a physical being, but also an emotional and intellectual being. I refer to patients based on their physical abilities. When it seems as if a patient is not listening to what I am trying to teach them I get despondent. I forget that my patient may be going through some other emotional issues that I am unaware of which could be hindering their performance.

I think we could change this by first asking our patients how they are doing in general as well as ask more specific questions regarding their home-life and their emotions. Physiotherapists should communicate with their patients in 3 ways: On a superficial level where you gather information about the patient’s work and hobbies, then on a deeper level to understand their ideas and how they think, and then on the deepest level which involves the patient’s emotions (Doring, 2014). We would then understand our patients better as a whole before focusing on their medical conditions. Not only would we have this better understanding of out patient, but it would assist us in providing better patient-specific treatment.

References: 

Doring, L. (2014). AN ELABORATION ON HOLISTIC PHYSIOTHERAPY. Australian Journal of Physiotherapy22(2), 83–89.

wa Selepe, M. (1988). My Name. 

6 thoughts on “Halinka Paarman 3635198 PHT402 final

1. Hi Halinka

I think this is a well written piece which i enjoyed reading,

Comments from guideline
    Guideline Poor Satisfactory Excellent

Content: Does the essay reflect the module content so far? Is it aligned with class discussion? (X excellent)

Argument: Are claims made? Are the claims supported with evidence? Are reasons given for claims? (X satisfactory)

References: Are they present? Correctly formatted? (x Poor)

Writing: Is the writing grammatically correct? Are there spelling mistakes? Does the text flow logically? (x excellent)

General Comments:

I think that you have raised an important issue and that most of us were able to relate to this experience. Throughout your reflection you mentioned a few things which made me question myself. Like for instance, Why do we do it? I think that there are a lot of evidence on your topic which you can use to support the claims you have made.

In addition , try to substantiate the reason for making your claims (providing the reader with a reason why do it, for example, there might be something that triggered you prior to treating the patient and made you more ignorant to why your patient struggles to carry out a task).

With regards to writing: your piece follows a logical thread throughout. One thing that you can maybe look to improve on, is providing academic evidence to support the claims that you made with regards to health professionals taking away the identity of the patient.

Good luck
    Well done

1. Hi Tammy

Thank you for your comments. They are very helpful and could definitely help improve my piece of writing.

I definitely think it would be a good idea for me to try and understand why we do it and reflect on this. I agree i need to add references to improve my argument.

Thanks
      Halinka

2. well done with your reflection, i enjoyed reading it. your topic is so true it is really happening in the hospital, i have also found myself in that situation

i think it is also important to tell us what is the way forward from here do we have to continue to refer to them by their folder number and the notes within their file?? how does that affect the patient ??
    also try to find evidence to support your reflection, surely there is evidence because this is really happening in the clinical practice
    general your reflection is good

1. Thank you for your comment.

I will definitely try and include some solutions to this issue as well as how it affects the patient. I will be finding literature to support my argument.

Thanks
      Halinka

3. Hi Halinka

a really nice read, i really like how you take time to explain the poem – which is quiet how i remember it being explained in high school. the link is very nice as well

i would like to know since this what you are reflecting on, what incident lead you to choosing to speak about this poem and how it made you feel, although it is something that happens to almost all patients but what lead to the realization.

Thank you for the read it was really nice, and do not forget referencing. all the best

Vuyolwethu Ndlabulala

1. Hi Vuyo,

Thank you for your comments.

I definitely agree that I should include the reason that lead me to use this poem and linking it to ethics with regards to clinical practice. I will also be adding some references.

Thanks
      Halinka