The Empath – by Ruve Redelinghuys (3674264)

What do Joel Osteen and the Timothy McVeigh have in common? Mother Teresa and Hitler?

http://time.com. (2018). Retrieved from http://time.com/4126238/mother-teresas-crisis-of-faith/

Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of another (“Definition of empathy in English by Oxford Dictionaries”, 2018).

I chose a picture of Mother Teresa because when I think of  the definition of the word ’empathy” an image of her appears in my mind.  It’s an  image of her doing good, somewhere, where it’s most needed. And this photograph happens to capture perfectly, one of her most endearing and renowned qualities – her unending empathy.

Empathy is an important concept associated with positive outcomes for healthcare practitioners and their patients (Scott, 2018). In a systematic review of the literature, Di Blasi, Harkness, Ernst, Georgiou and Kleijnen (2001) found that the health care practitioners who adopt a warm, friendly and reassuring manner are perceived as more effective than those who keep consultations emotionless and formal.

I chose the concept Empathy seeing as it has played a key role in most of my clinical experiences, good and bad. I have also always considered myself to be an empathetic individual as I take great pride in my ability to not only feel for others, but feel with them.

Below is an example of one of my clinical experiences:

During our final clinical block at Eerste River Hospital I was assigned a 55 year old female inpatient. The patient was presenting with hemiplegia, confusion and seizures (the patient did not suffer from epilepsy) with an unknown diagnosis. The patient had a history of a previous cerebral vascular accident (CVA) five years ago, as well as high blood pressure, so her doctors assumed it was another CVA. During our first session, I performed passive movements on the lower limbs and had the patient do active assisted exercises for the upper limbs. The patient had 5 seizures during this session. Besides ensuring that her environment and surroundings are not harmful, there was not much I could do. The patient pulled on her diaper and the sheets while having the seizures, so I gave her my hand to squeeze while patiently waiting them out with her. While calmly telling her that she can squeeze as hard as she wanted. After each seizure she seemed tired and hopeless. So, I paused the session and sat down next to her bed. She started crying, saying how she hopes and prays that she gets better. She said she was scared and that she felt insecure about the fate of her future.

And in that moment, what could I have possibly said or promised that would have lifted this patient’s spirits? Nothing.

How could I have promised anything whilst not having a proper diagnosis?

So, instead, I just sat there and listened. I just held her hand and listened, I fought back the tears and I didn’t break eye contact. When she was finished talking, I looked at her and all I said was (in Afrikaans as it was the patient’s home language) “Ek verstaan. Ek weet mevrou is moeg, ek kan dit sien. En ek hoop en bid rerig dat die pad vorentoe net makliker sal raak vir mevrou.”

There were a few brief seconds of silence, before she thanked and blessed me in the most genuine and grateful manner I had ever experienced.  This all happened simply because I cared enough to sit down and feel with her. And to this day, I will never forget how real this moment was.

After this beautiful moment, we continued with our session and it was as if the patient was more motivated to do the exercises than she had been before. It was as if my empathy and kindness inspired her to not only do her part, but do it enthusiastically! Could it be that the patient was subconsciously trying to repay me through her enthusiasm and  cooperation? Whatever the case, something changed in my patient that day.

(And this experience was not the first time my empathetic and warm approach had a favourable outcome!)

These experiences have proven that I, as as future physiotherapist, should not only tend to parestehsia, hypoaesthesia, anaesthesia, but should also treat emotions and feelings such as abandonment, hopelessness and fear. It is clear that when you show deep and honest empathy toward others, their defense mechanisms fade away and are replaced by positive reactions and thinking.

This is where the real magic happens!

Reference list

empathy | Definition of empathy in English by Oxford Dictionaries. (2018). Retrieved from https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/empathy

Scott, H. (2018). Retrieved from http://research.gold.ac.uk/6704/1/PSY_thesis_Scott_2011.pdf

3 thoughts on “The Empath – by Ruve Redelinghuys (3674264)

1. Wow ! This absolutely a great piece of work as I was reading I learnt a lot about love , how it requires one to service, to work. I love how you commenced your introductory paragraph, it gave me a sense of what you will be talking about and your entire vision about love and physiotherapy or goals as well. The introduction of the quote is good as it give me a bit of how the author was like, thank you for that! I love the way you have perfectly linked your clinical practice to this piece of art.

Regarding the first sentence of your last paragraph , as this is your conclusion or wrapping up paragraph, I would advice you not to use ” I guess” in any way because now you are coming to your ending and you know what exactly are your goals and what you learnt from the experience so be confident and be sure. Other than that well done Ruve! Your piece was heart warming.

2. Hi Ruve , thank you for sharing.

According to the guidlines

Content: good , this showed a good reflection about what is covered in the module about being compassionate towards each individual we treat.

Argument: Good, you argue that love comes in many forms and not just with compassion which i like, because peoples needs and ideas of love vary across cultures. Maybe, add more ways in which showing love can be seen / heard/ felt and maybe relate it to certain conditions ( e.g a warm hug to the blind / A kind word to the mentally ill)

References: poor – please add ref for your picture

Writing: good – make sure to double check for spelling errors and also try not to use phrases like “i guess what i want to say”and be more intentional e.g My point is / above all I do not want my profession …
    Comments: overall i liked your piece and i found warmth in what you were saying, Love is truly the answer and i hope you keep this attitude when life gets hard

I hope this helps
    Goodluck

3. Hi Ruve.

Thank you for your submission.
    My comments are according to the rubric guidelines:

Content: The content of your submission is good and I understand how it relates to clinical practice. I do however feel you could possibly include how to find a balance between caring/loving your patients but at the same time how to have boundaries so that the relationship remains professional. Another suggestion is that your title is “The Empathy” but you mainly refer to love, compassion and sympathy in your content… But empathy and sympathy are 2 different things. My suggestion would be to change the title to be better suited to the content of your work, an example being “Love for my patients” or something to that effect.

Argument: I thought your argument that love comes in different forms is a fair argument. I think you could maybe substantiate your statement by commenting on the different forms of love and try and find literature which proves this point.

References: I think you should add the reference of where you got your picture from as well as add references to back up your statements with regards to the different emotions you feel for your patients.

Writing: I think you need to spend more time on proof reading your work. There were many grammar and spelling mistakes that I noticed-some that need correcting include: “maintaine”-maintain, “love concourse all”-love conquers all, “cerish”-cherish, “I now his background”-I know his background.

Generally it was a fair piece of writing that could be improved with better spelling and grammar which will help your piece flow in a more logical manner. I would also suggest that you include how the quote that you use in the beginning of your submission links with your content and why you chose to include it.

I hope these comments assist you.

Halinka