Resource Allocation

Resource allocation is the distribution of resources, usually financial, among competing groups of people or programs (Brock. 2003).  A number of ethical questions arise when discussing healthcare resource allocation, to mention the few:

• If healthcare resources are scarce, how should they be distributed?
  • Distribution choices will benefit some and not others. How should choices be made? What values should guide these choices?
  • Is the current distribution of healthcare resources fair and equitable?

According to Brock (2003), when we talk about allocation of funds for healthcare, we need to consider three distinct levels of decision-making.

Level 1: Allocating resources to healthcare versus other social needs.

Level 2: Allocating resources within the healthcare sector.

Level 3: Allocating resources among individual patients.

My focus will be on level 3 which is allocating resources among individual patients.

Most communities have policies and guidelines to insure fairness in these situations. Decisions at this level include who gets the next available heart for transplant? And, who sees the doctor first when there are many people waiting in an emergency room?

According to Ramasamy and Shrivastava (2014), to ensure appropriate handling and management of victims when the quantity and severity of injuries exceed the operative capacity of health facilities, the triage approach has been employed. Triage is a color coded approach under which patients are rapidly classified based on the severity of their injuries and the likelihood of their survival with prompt medical interventions. It enables health professionals to take the best possible decision for the individual victim, within the available resources at times of disaster. It generally employs four color codes, namely red tag (for critical patients demanding immediate action), yellow tag (for patients between critical and minor categories requiring urgent action), green tag (for ambulatory patients who need minor care), and black tag (refers to dead persons)

In the public health sector, where the aim is to improve the health indicators of the general population as a whole, application of color coding not only enables diagnosis of important health condition but even serves as a rationale to start an appropriate line of management. Multiple applications of color-coding have been identified in the health sector. In conclusion, color coding in health care has the immense scope to ensure delivery of quality assured services, especially in low resource settings. Nevertheless, there is a crucial need to implement this approach universally to expand its range of benefits to both patients and healthcare professionals (Ramasamy and Shrivastava, 2014).

However the triage somehow involves balancing conflict to the claim of one of the Batho Pele principles which clearly state that All citizens should have equal access to the services to which they are entitled.   Batho Pele, a Sesotho word, which means “People First”, is an initiative that was launched in 1997 to transform the Public Service at all levels. Batho Pele was launched because democratic South Africa inherited a Public Service that was not people-friendly and lacked the skills and attitudes to meet the developmental challenges facing the country. In the struggle to transform the Public Service, the old culture has to be changed to ensure that our people are served properly, that all staff work to their full capacity and treat state resources with respect (Mokgoro, 2013). My question then arises to how do you treat or give all citizens equal access to services with inadequate resources? Is the color coding the one that can rescue the clinicians?

This information led to me thinking of the incident that once happened when I was placed in Tygerberg Hospital for my Cardiothoracic ICU block. Normally people are booked prior for their surgeries and are put in a long waiting list, however if there is an emergency where a particular patient was stabbed or was involved in a traumatic injury and needs a cardiothoracic surgery, those that are on the waiting list will be asked to move their dates up because there is no enough ventilator machines to assist them after surgery. Some patients would be hurt as they travel from very far and they want to leave hospital as soon as possible and moving dates for them increases the hospital stay and delays the process of healing.  This other time we had 2 emergencies but there was only one ventilator machine available.  The other patient was a young man who was still in varsity who was stabbed a week ago and needed a surgery to be done immediately but the other patient was the old man who had arrived the previous day with shortness of breath and was placed on the emergency list for the surgery to be done the following day. It came to the facilities attention that they did not have enough resources and surgeons to do the operation on that day so the decision was taken that the young man must be treated first.  I asked myself why the bible says we are equal in front of the Lord’s eyes but we are not treated equally when it comes to our health needs. This is where clinicians face ethical dilemmas.

With this piece I have learnt that your judgemental call should not be influenced by my own personal cultural/regional beliefs but should be always ethical justifiable and resource accommodating. I have also learnt that taking the patient and family members through counselling after taking such decisions is very vital to make them understand what has really happened and fore them not to feel less important. Color coding has been used to minimize common diagnostic or therapeutic errors and even enhances parental understanding about different attributes related to health (Ramasamy and Shrivastava, 2014).

References

Brock D.(2003). Cost Effectiveness and Resource Allocation . 21(4). http://www.resource-allocation.com/content/1/1/4 [accessed October  08 2018]

Mokgoro, J. (2003). Batho Pele policy review: final report and recommendations. [online] Available: http://www.sarpn.org.za /documents/d0000875/docs/Batho PelePolicyReviewFinal Report& Recommendations.pdf : 1-35.

Ramasamy J., Shrivastava R., & Shrivastava S (2014). Color Coding: A Tool to Enhance the Quality of Health Care in Low Resource Settings. Department of Community Medicine, Shri Sathya Sai Medical College and Research Institute, Kancheepuram, India.  Vol 2, No.2.  Available from: https://www.pagepressjournals.org/index.php/hls/article/view/hls.2014.4772/5446 [accessed October 08 2018]

(PDF) Implementation of Batho Pele Principles in an Educational District Office. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271104661_Implementation_of_Batho_Pele_Principles_in_an_Educational_District_Office [accessed Oct 08 2018].

3 thoughts on “Resource Allocation

1. Hi Sibonisile.

I liked that you have introduced the topics of Allocating Resources in the health care system as well as highlighting what you will be elaborating on regarding this topic.

I agree with you when your mentioned that a judgement call should always be ” ethically justifiable and resource accommodating”.

You have mentioned that “color coding in health care has the immense scope to ensure delivery of quality assured services, especially in low resource settings”. perhaps you could elaborate on whether or not South Africa has tried incorporating this method or not as well as discuss the significance of this method in the health care system. The following is a link to a website of an article that may be beneficial in elaborating on the above mentioned point: https://www.ajol.info/index.php/cme/article/viewFile/43980/27497.

In addition, I do agree the following statement made ” I have also learned that taking the patient and family members through counselling after taking such decisions is very vital to make them understand what has really happened and for them not to feel less important. “. Perhaps you could elaborate on how the health care practitioner manages situations where certain operation should be postponed as a result of a lack of resource- specifically with regards to informing patients that their procedures has been delayed due to certain circumstances.

I hope that my comments are beneficial and aid in enhancing your writing piece.

kind regards.

bibliography:
    Gottschalk, S. (2018). TRIAGE — A SOUTH AFRICAN PERSPECTIVE. Retrieved from https://www.ajol.info/index.php/cme/article/viewFile/43980/27497

2. Good day Sibonisile.

I thoroughly enjoyed your writing piece. I liked the fact that you defined the resource allocation allowing the reader to understand everything else that follows.

I do want to bring to your attention that in the second last paragraph you said “no” instead of not. In the same paragraph you have a sentence saying “This other time we had 2 emergencies but there…” you could perhaps start the sentence by saying “on a different occasion there was two emergencies”.

I want to share an experience I had at my general clinical block. I frequently had to see patients in the Tuberculosis ward which required me to wear an N95 mask; however due to the lack of resources I was told to wear a surgical mask. The N95 mask is a device that covers the nose and mouth and helps protect the wearer from breathing in some hazardous substances such as airborne bacteria e.g Tuberculosis (Department of Health, 2017). Therefore I was exposed daily as I wore a mask that did not protect me. After reading your piece I would consider this a level 2 resource allocation.

Thank you that I could learn from your writing piece and think of experience I went through and realize that they too fall under resource allocation.

References
    Department of Health, (2017). How to use an N95 mask. Received from https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/2805/index.htm

3. Hi Sibonisile.

I found you writing piece very interesting especially since it’s relatable as we are often faced with these situations. I appreciate the fact that you added the levels of decision-making, as I learnt something new. Throughout your writing piece I could gage the attempt you made at answering the ethical questions that were raised. Relating the triage approach back to a low resource setting served well in this paper as our country is still a developing world country.

However, what I would have liked for you to explore more about is, with regards to the the triage approach, how would the Republic of South Africa country benefit if it is then universally adapted?.

You mention the Bathopele Principles and the allocation of resources but I feel like it’d have more effective if you had attempted in a paragraph on how it would possibly be best to then allocate these resources that is so needed, for example should it matter what level a hospital is (TBH is a tertiary hospital), how many areas are serviced by that hospital etc.).

Lastly, what I learnt from your post about the scenario between the young man and the old man, I think that especially within our healthcare system it is best to be practical and logic about decisions made as opposed to emotional despite the difficulty.

Kind regards.