Patient’s information confidentiality versus Physical therapist clinical judgement.

The principle of confidentiality obliges us health professionals to respect the confidential information that patients share with us. By extension, we are also obligated to keep confidential information that we might gain from sources other than the patient in our care, e.g., medical records or other health professionals. Every patient has the right to Dignity (Section 10), freedom and security of the person (Section 12) and privacy (Section 14), as contained in the Bill of Rights in the South African Constitution, Act 108 of 1996, however certain circumstances strike a sense of scepticism to health professionals owing to the need to share the information of the patient amid other health professionals predominant for the benefit of the patient.

The incidence transpired in the clinical block that I’m currently placed at, where I met a patient that is a very passionate athlete; willing to stop at nothing to thrive in her sport career.

From my examination with the patient, I identified that she has Femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) which has now become an impediment in her running as running aggravates the unpleasant symptoms around her joint like severe pain and stiffness etc. I took it upon myself as her therapist to decipher the concept of FAI and its possible implications. In my explanation, I disclosed the possibility of going through surgery which would imply that she stays off the field for a while. In her response, the first thing she mentioned was her inability to be off ground as there would be vexatious consequences such as losing her sport’s scholarship. She further asked me not to disclose the information to my seniors, which is the next step I had aforementioned I will take.

At that moment, I felt stuck in between two most crucial concepts in a clinical setting: respecting the wishes of the patient (and compromise their health in this case) or disclose the information to my senior (for re-assessment and their opinion). I was overflowing with controversial thoughts, knowing that the moment a patient feels that their right to privacy, dignity etc. is not protected and they are not being treated with the respect they deserve, the situation can quickly escalate into a legal matter which can cause unnecessary problems for me and potentially affect my premature registration at the HPCSA.

In my venture to reach a decision, I spoke to one of my colleagues (without disclosing any patient information) about what they would do in a similar situation as me.  And my co-worker mentioned something very tonic and foremost but biased, that sometimes we need to go extra extremities as against our patients wishes to ensure they get the superlative health care they need. Even though her opinion was biased, I had also decided to include a superior reason being that if anything happens to my patient as she persistently runs, I would have cleared my name. Consequently, I let my superior know of the patient and the principal concerned at hand.

After I had told my senior about the patient and the entire situation I felt very bad because I’m enlightened that confidentiality is a core element of all human relationships and, so, is basic to building trust between patients and health professionals. Keeping confidences is a form of keeping a promise or bond. In effect, the health professional promises the patient that they will keep a bond of trust – the patient trusts the health professional to keep confidence and the health professional trusts the patient to tell the truth, however, others, for example Brazier and Cave (2007, p.80) argue that paternalistic motives to protect the patient cannot justify the sharing of information about a patient with capacity without the patient’s consent.

CLINICAL DILEMMA

Confidentiality is a core element of all human relationships and, so, is basic to building trust between patients and health professionals. Keeping confidences is a form of keeping a promise or bond. In effect, the health professional promises the patient that they will keep a bond of trust – the patient trusts the health professional to keep confidence and the health professional trusts the patient to tell the truth (Allen, 2014), however, HPCSA (2014) states that circumstances may arise where a patient cannot be informed about the sharing of information, for example because of a medical emergency. In these cases the health care practitioner should disclose the relevant information promptly to those providing the patients’ care, and that is precisely what I did, even though the patient had asked that I do not disclose the information because I felt the condition of my patient requires a sense of agency as the FAI is presently affecting multiple structures.

References

The Bill of Rights in the South African Constitution, Act 108 Of 1996

Allen, A. (2004). Privacy in health care. In S. G. Post (Ed.), Encyclopaedia of bioethics (3rd ed., Vol. 4, pp. 2120-2130). New York: Macmillan.

Brazier, M., & Cave, E. (2007). Medicine, patients and the law (4th ed.). London: Penguin books.

6 thoughts on “Patient’s information confidentiality versus Physical therapist clinical judgement.

1. Hello Cebisa, firstly I would to thank you for sharing this difficult experience with us. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to make the call to break patient confidentiality with one of your seniors. As students I think we have a lot of stress already on our plates with every day concerns and now adding that stressor to your plate must have been completely overwhelming.

Content: Good writing and sentence structure. Your heading and body links well to our topic of the assignment. Your situation made me think about my own clinical experiences and situations where I probably as well had to break that privacy policy of the patient- I feel like sometime its quit difficult to keep patient information private, especially since we are still undergraduates and still needs assistance with some aspects regarding patient care/rehabilitation.

Argument: I like the way you constructed your writing, starting off strong with some facts and explaining your experience with some facts to support it in between. I would probably just think about adding in some conflicting personal thoughts as I mentioned above your patient had to know your a student and you have to consult with your seniors regarding a treatment plan or even just stating a progress report to them. Then again I found it creative to find a ‘lope hole’ in the law where patient confidentiality can be broken in cases of emergency.
    Maybe you could think about explaining your clinical unethical experience with a little more detail from the patients point of view- why didn’t she want your senior to know about her diagnosis? what did she think your senior would do with the information? It is the patients right to keep her diagnosis private, but it is also within her rights to seek a second opinion and also to decline medical treatment.

References: Referencing correct- in text and reference list at the end. Good facts in the text to support your writing.

Writing: Grammatically correct. Didn’t find spelling issues. Easy to follow and read your piece. Well constructed.

I hope you found this comment of some use. Good luck with further preparations. 🙂
    Wiana Muller

1. Hi Wiana 🙂

Thank you for taking your time to go through my writing and replying with such a mouthful reply.
      I will definitely look into what you reckoned I should explain in detail.

Thank you.

2. Hi Cebisa,
    Thank you for sharing this amazing information and potential learning experience for some as well.
    Your content overall is good, you have structured everything well, it flows and makes sense.
    Your arguments is as good and clear.
    This is a very delicate case looking at the patient’s reasons and view. A lot of people face such dilemmas, not seeking medical help because they could lose something. I think this is something that needs a further look into. Otherwise great writing.

3. Content: awesome content, and truly thought provoking. the standard of your content is truly within the expected range.
    Argument: well carved argument, I like how you took us through the journey description to final judgement.

References: Referencing correct- in text and reference list at the end.

Writing: your writing is logically sound, easy to read and even though I felt like there was bit of grandiloquence your whole writing is very tact.

1. Hi Zen 🙂

Thank you for your comment. However, my writing was not intended to unearth as pompous, excuse me for having a dilemma that your experience has not met. Also, as a Health professional you could try to tranquilize and comprehend that in a clinical setting we are exposed to unique cases and will therefore have a unique experience at different runs.

Thank you. 🙂