When they adhere to your human rights – but forget the “equality” part

In government hospitals, not everything goes as planned and the environment seems busier than usual. As a health care professional worker, you are expected to do your outmost best in a limited time frame which can be a bit stressful at first. Eventually you get used to the daily routine but do you ever get used to the health care system? It is known that the South African healthcare system is overwhelmed by a relentless burden of infectious and non-communicable diseases, social inequalities as well as insufficient human resources to help the population that is growing every single day (Mayosi & Benatar, 2014). Patients human rights are adhered to… but are they equal among each other?

Everyday a new patient is being admitted while there is another patient being discharged and that is how the cycle continues day in and day out. A 72-year-old-female was referred to physiotherapy after she had a right total hip replacement. A thorough subjective was done with her on day 1 post-op  and it was concluded that the patient will need assistance at home as she stays alone, does not shave a shower and has 2 flights of stairs that leads to her apartment. This indicated that family training was needed and thankfully, the daughter mentioned that she will take time off from work. The aim is to always give your patient’s the best treatment and to see them improve, whether it takes one day or a week. When assessing the patient on day 1 post-op, she had  minimal range in the operated (right) hip compared to the left side. Bed exercises were given and by day 2, the patient was able to stand up with a walking frame as her highest level of function with strict supervision and a +1 assistance but had to push through the pain experienced in the operated hip. Patient was not safe to take steps yet. However, as I arrived that morning, it was written in the patients notes that the plan is to discharge her the next day. No communication has been made from the doctor with regards to the physiotherapy progress of the patient prior to the decision.

From a personal physiotherapist perspective, that was not the most professional decision to make as the patient still needed to be taught how to walk upstairs and downstairs and to mobilize confidently. There had been no family training done as yet and no step-down placement application has been processed for the patient. This puts a lot of pressure on the physiotherapist’s rehab plan where sometimes patient’s do not always adapt easily. Although the patient was medically stable, holistically, she was not. The patient ended up voicing her opinion to me that day saying that she does not feel ready and confident to be discharged yet which put me in an uncomfortable position. Patients prefer to be involved in the decision-making of their care otherwise they feel like they are being ignored and end up feeling left out.  Shared decision making recognizes that medical decisions require interaction between patients and their doctors; that decisions be informed by the best available clinical evidence and that decisions reflect the individual patient’s considered goals and concerns. Identifying the medical problem and laying out the reasonable options are primarily the responsibility of the physician (Fowler, Levin & Sepucha, 2011).

Health care professionals in hospitals are responsible for providing services to patients to meet their acute-care needs, optimizing their function and supporting them with community services as they return home (Matmari, Uyeno & Heck, 2014). Although, the modern medical workplace is a stressful place for doctors, and this was evident to hospitals I have been to. Stress arises from long hours, constantly caring for ill people, facing death of people they have come to know, knowing that their occupation carries enormous responsibility and that people’s lives depend on them causing them to have to somehow play a role in all their patient’s lives, even though sometimes it is not always seen as “equal” treatment and care provided (Govender, Mutunzi & Okonta, 2012). Sometimes doctors have to treat new in-coming patients on demand and do not always have time to go back to older patient’s as often as they did before. Other factors include; high demands on time which interferes with doctors’ other responsibilities; dealing with emergencies; increasing demands from patients; information overload as well as administration (Govender, Mutunzi & Okonta, 2012). However, the stress factors doctors experience throughout working in hospitals day in and day out should not affect patient’s rights to have access to equal health care. I feel that if patients right’s are adhered to in the hospital, it makes physiotherapy rehabilitation more successful in the long run.

Picture1.pngss

The influx of new patients should not have a direct effect on the patients who are currently receiving treatment. Section 27 of the Constitution states that every person has the right to have access to health care services, including reproductive health care and that respect must be shown to the right of access to health care services by not unfairly getting in the way of people accessing existing health care services, whether in the public or private sector (The Constitution and public health policy, 2019). In public hospitals that I have worked at, the pressure is more demanding and often the term “patient- centeredness” is negatively affected.  Patient- centeredness care can be defined as having 3 pillars: the needs of the patient comes first, ‘nothing about me without me’ meaning nothing is discussed about a patient without them being present and lastly, every patient is the only patient (Berwick, 2009). I think that patient- centeredness should be an on- going process for the patient to improve their outcome of rehabilitation.

Patients who are discharged are often in a vulnerable state (Hesselink et al., 2012) which could lead to a negative perspective on their condition and their rehabilitation. This therefore affects physiotherapy rehabilitation sessions where patients are not motivated to continue and see it as “time-wasting”. Do doctors take that into consideration? Patients who are not communicated as to why they are discharged so early often feel unprepared, have increased anxiety and a misunderstanding which is believed to increase hospital re-admissions and therefore, essentially acts as counteractive as the purpose of the quick discharge is top open bed space for another patient (Hesselink et al., 2012). Health facilities have to be accessible to everyone within the jurisdiction of a state.  Sometimes doctors try to make realistic decisions under stressful conditions and try to prioritize the patient load to see who needs assistance immediately vs someone who can wait a little longer or someone who can be discharged immediately for someone who needs emergency treatment. It is not always a “first come, first serve” process that doctors follow. I do believe doctors try their best to suit to everyone’s needs but it should be structured in a way, that patient’s receive equal treatment. Moreover, the aims of the National Health Act are to make effective health services available to the population equitably and efficiently; to protect, promote, respect and fulfill the rights of South Africans to progressively realize the constitutional right to health; and to establish a national health system that will provide people with the best possible health services that available resources can afford (Moyo, 2019).

If this were to arise again, I will ensure that patient centered care is prioritized and communication has taken place between the multi-disciplinary team. Whether you are a doctor, nurse, physiotherapist or occupational therapist or in the health care team, sometimes you have to try and put some time aside so you can aim to give your patient the best possible treatment as they are human too and have rights. The challenge is to further entrench these health care rights and to make sure that patients feel involved in their rehabilitation. Recognition of human rights is a political responsibility and it is necessary for the political leadership to take the bold step and to commit the country to respecting, protecting and promoting human rights at all times – even though it is still not fully done to this day.

References:

Berwick, D. (2009). What ‘Patient-Centered’ Should Mean: Confessions Of An Extremist. Health Affairs, 28(4), w555-w565. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.28.4.w555

Discharge Cartoons and Comics. (2019). [Image]. Retrieved from https://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/d/discharge.asp 

Fowler, F., Levin, C., & Sepucha, K. (2011). Informing And Involving Patients To Improve The Quality Of Medical Decisions. Health Affairs, 30(4), 699-706. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2011.0003

Govender, I., Mutunzi, E., & Okonta, H. (2012). Stress among medical doctors working in public hospitals of the Ngaka Modiri Molema district (Mafikeng health region), North West province, South Africa. South African Journal Of Psychiatry, 18(2), 5. doi: 10.4102/sajpsychiatry.v18i2.337

Hesselink, G., Flink, M., Olsson, M., Barach, P., Dudzik-Urbaniak, E., & Orrego, C. et al. (2012). Are patients discharged with care? A qualitative study of perceptions and experiences of patients, family members and care providers. BMJ Quality & Safety, 21(Suppl 1), i39-i49. doi: 10.1136/bmjqs-2012-001165

Matmari, L., Uyeno, J., & Heck, C. (2014). Physiotherapists’ Perceptions of and Experiences with the Discharge Planning Process in Acute-Care General Internal Medicine Units in Ontario. Physiotherapy Canada, 66(3), 254-263. doi: 10.3138/ptc.2013-12

Mayosi, B., & Benatar, S. (2014). Health and Health Care in South Africa — 20 Years after Mandela. New England Journal Of Medicine, 371(14), 1344-1353. doi: 10.1056/nejmsr1405012

Moyo, K. (2019). Realising the right to health in South Africa [PDF] (pp. 10-15). Retrieved from https://www.fhr.org.za/files/7215/1247/1732/Health.pdf

The Constitution and public health policy. (2019). [PDF] (pp. 5-6). Retrieved from http://www.section27.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Chapter2.pdf

3 thoughts on “When they adhere to your human rights – but forget the “equality” part

1. Dear Erin x
    thanks for sharing, i like your reflection. the way things are done in hospitals just to admit more and more patient has become a norm and we as professional health cares we forget to treat each patient holistically as they deserve because of the quick run over. we are slowly losing our professional ethics because of these systems.

i liked your content, you are stating facts linked with your experience. it makes it easy for one to follow and it creates a very nice flow. Your ethical dilemma is clearly stated although it would be nice to state how that affects your work and how it will affect your future practice in the health care settings. You proposed strong arguments with good statements and reasoning. You have good referenced statements, which definitely validates what you are saying in your writing piece. One last thing, your pictures do not say much about your reflection, i struggled to connect or make sense of the picture with regards to your reflection. one needs to read the reflection first to understand your picture.

But your reflection is generally good. well done!

2. Hi Erin!
    Thanks for sharing your work, It was a good read! The content links well with the topic of the writing assignment and I could really identify with you as I have also been experiencing this daily while working in Ortho. Doctors don’t seem to care about patient’s as soon as they leave the hospital, where it is our job to take the home environment and rehabilitation into consideration.
    Your title and pictures are slightly unclear. Maybe consider a title and picture that clearly links with the story you are trying to tell. Ensure that the reader immediately becomes intrigues about the topic and it’s content.

Your statements, claims and information is structured in a logical way, making this an easy and logical read. Well done! As I have have been experiencing this phenomenon myself, I definitely have to agree with you. Try mention how this makes you feel and what you personally might have done differently. Maybe also add what you will try and do differently after writing this reflection. Address the involved doctor in a respectful way and voice the patient’s fear?

Your grammar and spelling is good. The fact that you substantiated and referenced your work so well made your arguments/statements so much stronger. I liked that! Your piece made me feel better knowing that I am not the only student experiencing this. So thank you!

Ruve

3. Evening Erin, apologies for replying to your post so late, I hope that you understand that I have been busy with preparations for Eid. Nevertheless I have enjoyed reading your reflection, for the purpose of this feedback I will refer to our rubric.

Substance/ Content: I really liked the fact that your reflection actually linked with a topic that we covered in class, I however felt that you need to state much earlier on, what is the purpose of the reflection and where you are going to take the reader. I like that you have used the constitution and many articles to back up your work, however you need to say what the post is about clearly, an example of this would be stating that it has to do with human rights.
    Synthesis of content: I think that you have shared light on both our coursework and your experience in clinical practice. I personally feel that it sometimes helps to keep each paragraph about a particular idea and not to introduce too many at once, as this tends to confuse the reader. You have given this assignment much thought, you have all the information needed to get a good mark, you just need to rearrange your ideas into a clear structure.
    Engagement: You have engaged with the topic sufficiently. The only issue I did not completely agree with was the one in which you state that its a problem within government hospitals only. Perhaps we should look into how patients are treated in the private sector as well.
    Writing style: No major grammatical errors. I however feel that you should have an introduction paragraph in which you state what you will discuss in each paragraph and what you hope to achieve by doing this post. In one of your paragraphs when you speak about section 27 of the constitution, you should perhaps make your sentences shorter and more clear cut. Otherwise I feel that grammar is not a problem for you.
    References: All seem in check!
    Length: I felt your post had a lot of ideas, However maybe consider shortening it. Especially with regards to ranges and muscle strengths. Sometimes just saying the patient was not ready may be enough.
    Information literacy: I think you have used pictures which is great, however I am struggling to link them to your actual topic. Try to use videos and hyperlinks throughout!

Thanks again for this post, sorry for such a rushed feedback. If you require any further assistance you can just let me know. Sorry if this post was in any way rude or offensive, keep well and best of luck! You will do well 🙂