Language Barriers

language-barrier.jpg

According to the National Patients’ Rights Charter, every patient has the right to health information in their language of choice (Western Cape Government, 2015). Working as a health practitioner at a clinic that consists of predominantly Xhosa speaking people is very challenging. Some of the patients can speak English very well, where others can only speak a few phrases, and then there are other patients who do not understand or speak it at all. One day I was seeing an old lady that does not speak or understand any English. Her daughter was with her for the session and translated between the patient and I. There were instances where I would tell the daughter something and she would not translate it back to her mother, and I would have to tell her to tell her mother. I could see she did not translate what I said exactly to her mother. She would leave some things out to make it easier for herself.

As the session continued, I would ask the daughter to help me with Xhosa words and I would ask it to the patient. As I tried to accommodate them by learning some Xhosa words, I could see the mother (the patient), as well as the daughter, light up and smile, and interact more in the session. This encounter made me realize the power it holds to communicate with a patient in a language they prefer and understand, even just the basic words. By doing this, the patient feels that you are trying and you feel more connected to the patient, than to make use of a translator the entire time. On the other hand, it also made me realize the importance of getting a translator even for the patients that speaks some English, to help the patient express themselves better, and for me as the health care worker to provide a better service to the patient.

It is important for patients to be assessed and treated in a language they understand and speak, to get the best service possible. Negative consequences may result from inadequate communication between a health professional and the patient, including misunderstandings of potential health risks, medically significant communication errors, and increased psychological stress (Meuter, Gallois, Segalowitz, Ryder, & Hocking, 2015). When a patient is not able to speak a language that their health practitioner understands, it prevents the patient from disclosing their limitations. Another problem is when a patient does not understand their plan of care, which results in them not complying with the instructions given, and therefore they suffer more unnecessary complications that could have been prevented if they understood what was being explained to them (Trembeck & Dreger, 2002).

As mentioned above, a patient has the right to receive health information in the language of their choice (Western Cape Government, 2015).  Therefore, if a patient feels more comfortable with a certain language, the health professional need to make use of a translator or interpreter during the session. It is better to use someone that is part of the health team to be the translator than a family member or a friend. Emotional ties between the patient and their family member or friend can interfere with the interpretation. Furthermore, the family member or friend may not have the knowledge of medical terminology to convey the correct information about medical terms. Finally, if the patient feels forced to accept the family member or friend as an interpreter, their right to confidentiality and privacy might be breached (Kale & Syed, 2010).

After working in a predominately Xhosa speaking health facility, I have realized the importance of communicating with your patient in a language they understand and feel comfortable with. It is important to understand the role language plays in creating barriers in health care provision. Therefore, it is important for health care providers to make use of an interpreter which is part of the health care team, or learn the basics of a language which is most popular in that area to make the patient feel most comfortable. This will help the patient to convey important information sufficiently and aid in the treatment of the patient. Our curriculum at University of the Western Cape can aid in this by adding Xhosa as a module, which will help the students feel more comfortable to convey information to the patients.

References

Kale, E., & Syed, H. (2010). Language barriers and the use of interpreters in the public health services.A questionnaire-based survey. Patient Education and Counseling, 187-191.

Meuter, R. F., Gallois, C., Segalowitz, N. S., Ryder, A. G., & Hocking, J. (2015). Overcoming language barriers in healthcare:A protocol for investigating safe and effectivecommunication when patients or clinicians use asecond language. Meuteret al. BMC Health Services Research, 1-5.

Trembeck, T., & Dreger, V. (2002). Optimize Patient Health by Treating Literacy and Language Barriers. AORN Journal, 75(2), 278-293.

Western Cape Government. (2015, January 23). Here’s What You Need to Know About the Patients’ Rights Charter. Retrieved from Western Cape Government: https://www.westerncape.gov.za/general-publication/heres-what-you-need-know-about-patients%E2%80%99-rights-charter

2 thoughts on “Language Barriers

1. Hi Roche

Thank you for sharing your piece with us. I think this topic is something a lot of us are struggling with and may face on a day to day basis. I have been in similar situations where language played a big role in providing the best possible treatment to the patient as communication was very difficult. I enjoyed reading how you faced the challenge head on by showing initiative to learn Xhosa words to make the patient more comfortable. I believe we can all make a great effort to engage on a more personal level with all our patients.

Your text reflects the topics we discussed in class and I believe that it is really important for a patient to understand their rights. I also believe that it is important for the patient to receive information in the language they understand, as it plays a big role in their health management. The reference you have included supports your writing well and makes your piece stronger. I suggest that you put the full stop of the sentence after the in-text reference and not before. Example in the last sentence of paragraph 3: … and therefore they suffer more unnecessary complications that could have been prevented if they understood what was being explained to them (Trembeck & Dreger, 2002). This goes for all the in-text references.

Another suggestion is that you might consider using shorter sentences. For example: “This also made me realize the importance of getting a translator even for the patients that speaks a little English, to help the patient express themselves better, and for me as the health care worker to provide a better service to the patient.” Try to break this sentence up and changing it in two sentences. It will make it easier to read your piece and improve the flow of it.

Just a few grammar considerations:
    Paragraph 1: change “she wouldn’t translate” to “she would not translate”
    Paragraph 2, sentence 4: change “then making use of…” to “than making use of…”
    Paragraph 3, sentence 2: change “Negative consequences my …” to “Negative consequences may …”
    Paragraph 4, sentence 3: change “their health practitioner understand prevents…” to “their health practitioner understands, it prevents…”

I really enjoyed reading your draft and look forward to your final piece. Good luck with all the assignments and rest of block.

Deone ?

2. Dear Roche

Thank you for sharing your piece, I really enjoyed reading it and can relate to you situation. I too have been in a situation where I cannot fully understand the patient and vice versa due to a language barrier, sometimes I had a translator and other times I had to use the little bit of the language I knew and improvise with actions or expressions. Well done for trying to learn a new language in order to communicate with your patients better, I agree with you that it helps you build a good rapport with your patient as they can see your commitment and interest in their treatment and recovery.

Your topic is linked to the topic of human rights (which we have covered in class) and I think your picture is very clearly linked to your title and your writing piece.

I think overall your piece is easy to follow and follows a logical sequence. I think your references definitely help strengthen your argument and support claims that you have made. The only suggestion I can make is for you to check your in- text referencing; rather put the full stop after your bracket of your reference instead of before the bracket/reference.

Grammar and spelling suggestions:
    Paragraph 1, line 2- then there are other patients who do not
    Paragraph 1, last line- change her to herself
    Paragraph 2, line 2- accommodate them
    Paragraph 2, line 5- change ‘then’ to than
    Paragraph 2, line 5- possibly rephrase to ; speaks very little English/some English
    Paragraph 3, line 2- change ‘my’ to may
    Paragraph 3, line 5- understands, it
    Paragraph 3, line 7- instructions
    Paragraph 4, line 3- needs
    Paragraph 4, line 7-change ‘except’ to accept

Well done Roche, this is a well written piece, I hope you find these suggestions helpful.
    All the best

Zara Van Neel