Restraining of patients in a clinical setting

The right to health is fundamental to the physical and mental well-being of all individuals. In South Africa, the constitution guides the substantive content of all laws and policies through its Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights regulates the content of health laws and policies, and any health care treatment should follow the guidelines set out by the constitution in order to ensure dignity and equality of all patients (Reidy, 2008). The use of physical restraints in patients have been extensively investigated with numerous recent literature supporting it, where others question, discourage and reject the use of physical constraints on patients in clinical settings (Kalula & Petros, 2016).  In many hospitals in South Africa, patients are restrained by health care professionals to ensure the safety of the patient and other patients (Lai, 2007). Restraint of patients in hospitals may be chemical or physical. Physical restraint refers to devices that restrict a patient’s movement being in the patient’s best interest (Kalula & Petros, 2016). Chemical restraint is any drug that is administered to the patient that is used for discipline or convenience and is not required to treat the patients’ medical symptoms (Kalula & Petros, 2016).

Autonomy refers to the ability of a person to make decisions according to their personal value, thus, before any medical practioners performs any treatment or assessment, obtaining informed consent is basic respect to the autonomy of patients (Ye, Xiao, Yu, Wei, & Luo, 2017). Undoubtedly, the use of physical restraints breaches the principle of autonomy because it limits the freedom of patients. Saying this, the use of restraints is the immediate measure to reduce the movement of patients to control and/or prevent self-injury or injury to those around, (Ye, Xiao, Yu, Wei, & Luo, 2017). The choice between use and non-use of restraint is argued based on practical considerations, such as how a patient’s safety (and the safety of others) may be balanced with a patient’s recovery process. Should a agitated and/or confused patient not be restrained by the medical team, the consequences thereof could be regarded as negligence as patients can pull out devices, IV lines, and oxygen masks which are essential for the treatment of the patient (Kalula & Petros, 2016).

During my time in ICU, I have experienced and seen both the use of physical and chemical restraints.  Most patients in ICU may experience some degree of agitation, confusion and delirium during their stay which is often caused by pain, underlying illness, sleep deprivation, hypoxia as well as alcohol and substance withdrawal (Abdeljawad & Mrayyan, 2016). A specific encounter where I had to face the reality of restraining a patient was when I had to treat a patient who had sustained a TBI after being assaulted (community assault). He was previously ventilated and intubated via trachea. When I started seeing him, he had been extubated and now only relied on oxygen support (T-Piece). He was awake, but clearly agitated. I had to administer chest physio but had difficulty as he continuously tried to sit up and grab my hands. I was unable to treat the patient effectively due to this, and therefore, as instructed by my clinician asked the nurses to restrain the patient’s upper limbs as lower limbs. At first, I felt uneasy and unsure of whether I was doing the right thing, but soon realized it was at the benefit of the patient although it might not always seem that way.  Although this clearly breaches the patient’s rights and autonomy, I am unsure of what the alternative would be.

The Health Professionals council of South Africa (HPSCA) firmly states that every individual has the ‘right to a healthy and safe environment whilst at the same time stating every individual has the right to ‘participate in the decision-making’ of their own health-related treatment. As stated previously, the restraining of patients clearly breaches a patient’s autonomy as well as contradicts what the HPSCA guidelines, despite being in the patient’s best interest.

Although health care practioners are aware of the ethical dilemmas arising from the use of physical restraints and are often uncomfortable with their decision to use them, up to date to there are no other alternatives to keep patients and those around them safe.

References

Kalula, S., & Petros, S. (2016). Use of physical restraint in hospital patients: A descriptive study in a tertiary hospital in South Africa. Curationis, 39(1), 1-8.

Lai, C. (2007). Nurses using physical restraints: Are the accused also the victims? – A study using focus group interviews. BMC Nursing, 1-7.

Reidy, M. (2008, February ). Rights and Wrongs of patient restraint. WIN, 16(2), 22-23.

Ye, J., Xiao, A., Yu, L., Wei, H., & Luo, T. (2017). Physical restraints: An ethical dilemma in mental health services in China. International Journal of Nursing Sciences, 5(1), 68-71.

3 thoughts on “Restraining of patients in a clinical setting

1. Thank you for allowing me to read your writing Michele. I have come across many patients who have been restrained in a clinical setting and I am sure many others students have done so too. This is therefore a very relevant dilemma relating to physiotherapy. Your topic is clear from paragraph 1 and the argument is easy to follow throughout the writing piece. I like how you use the term “autonomy” throughout the writing when regarding the patient’s own interests of treatment.
    A suggestion for paragraph 1 would be to expand on what you mean by “chemical” and “psychological” restraints in a hospital setting. It is clear that your writing is focusing on physical restraints however just briefly expand with examples what you mean by the other forms of retrains.
    Another suggestion to strengthen the argument would be to go into more depth looking at the freedom of patients movement in regards to the South African bill of rights. To make the writing more emotional look at the dilemma from the patients point of view, how do you think the patients might feel by being restrained. Was there any particular encounter that you had with a patient that made you want to look further into this ethical dilemma? A personal or emotional side to this dilemma could strengthen your argument and writing.
    The references used are relevant and correctly support your argument. Refer to https://www.westerncape.gov.za/legislation/bill-rights-chapter-2-constitution-republic-south-africa, for further information on human rights in South Africa.
    Overall this is a well written piece with the introduction and conclusion making it easy to follow your thoughts. Well done, keep up the good work going forward.

2. Hi Michelle,
    Thank you for sharing your writing piece, I could relate to this subject because I myself has experienced and i have thought about this previously. This is actually such a contradictory thing because the restraining of the patient is in the best interest of the patient medically but according to the guidelines the patient has rights, i like how you have used references to back all of this up. I suggest that you add a clinical scenario if you have one to lengthen and give us more detail about why you specifically choose this as your writing piece. I liked the referencing. Your topic is according to the module, I like how clear, and straight to the point you are, maybe you can strengthen your topic by explaining to us your own opinion on autonomy and your views on restraining of patients, I think with all your references, your voice/ opinion is being lost.

Grammar:
    First line- patients should be patients’
    “In many hospitals in South Africa”- comma after Africa

Referencing is up to date and all add and well referenced.

Thank you for sharing, all the best with the final piece.
    Saschia.

3. Hello Michele, thank you for sharing your thoughts and facts about retraining patients in the hospital settings. I guess everybody has their own believes about restrains and their values, be it good or bad. Personally I think government settings are understaffed and over worked. Some patients really do need restraints for safety issues but most other patients I feel are just restrained due to being a ‘irritant’ and staff nurses and/or carers don’t always have the time to keep an eye on them to ensure that they are in no troublesome situations.

Content: Your heading and topic relate nicely to each other. Your writing reads smoothly, each paragraph flows into the next one. Its easy to keep tract of your opinions and facts. I would maybe suggest you add in a little more personal experience to your piece- why is retaining a patient a problem for you? Did something happen to a patient while you where treating them? etc.

Argument: As I mentioned above, you wrote a good piece. You have some personal thoughts that are supported by facts. I believe you have sufficient facts for a great argument but I feel like your lacking some personal thoughts or experiences to why you chose this ethical matter to reflect on.

Reference: Good references, alphabetically presented, in text referencing correct. Your argument is supported by facts and HPSCA guidelines. Maybe just consider explaining to the readers a bit more why you chose restraints as an ethical issues to reflect on.

Writing: Grammatically correct. Sentence structure correct. Paragraphs reads smoothly and flows into each other. No spelling errors found.

I do hope you could find some guidance from my comment, and again, good topic to reflect on in South Africa due to most patients being restrained and not all are ethically correct.