The unpleasantries of friendship and healthcare provision

clouded jhttps://twitter.com/hashtag/DonOkes?src=hash

In healthcare knowing your patient is often what healthcare professionals strive for as a means of providing a comprehensive management plan suited for the patient. Knowledge is often an empowering experience but knowing your patient too well can be the cloud that blinds your judgment. I had an experience which changed my opinion of treating patients you know outside of a professional relationship. Initially, it was my belief that treating someone you know would be easy because there is already a relationship and rapport that exist to establish the therapist and patient relationship.

On the 22nd of April 2019, I began my first day of the sports rehabilitation block at the University of the Western Cape clinic. I am a resident on campus and as I expected I was seeing a lot of familiar faces walking into the clinic, some of which I was acquainted with and others whom I had just seen in passing. One day someone whom I was well acquainted with walked into the clinic. This person was someone whom I did not get along with as we both felt indifferent about one another due to an incident that took place at the residence we live in. I was the only student physiotherapist available to see him and so my clinician asked if I could see him. I agreed and called him into the consultation room where the subjective interview took places. He revealed his medical history, which I had no previous knowledge of even though I knew him personally. He had bipolar, depression and he was HIV positive. I saw him around campus and could not look at him the same, we still pass each other and great each other awkwardly

As with all new experiences, there were various emotions that accompanied the varies events that occurred. Initially working with patients on campus made me feel comfortable in contrast to my other blocks which are usually feelings of great suspense and anxiety. The feeling of comfort transgressed into great discomfort when someone I was all too familiar with walked into the clinic and was to soon be my patient. I felt the environment become hostile as soon as he walked in considering the unpleasant nature of our relationship. When the clinician asked me to take him as my patient, I felt reluctant to do so but I did not refuse as I did not want to explain why. This task in hand stirred a great sense of professional responsibility as I was required to put my personal feelings aside and put the patient first. Initially, during the subjective interview, I was afraid to ask some questions as they felt too personal and we had never had to converse about anything very personal before that. At that moment I realized that my judgment was clouded. As the interview went on, I felt the atmosphere of hostility gradually float away, he allowed himself to be vulnerable, he confided in me and despite our differences, he trusted me. When I felt that he trusted me, whatever feelings of hostility that were present on my side evaporated. Although through this interaction we developed mutual respect as soon as I stepped outside of the clinic and no longer had a professional obligation, I felt burdened by the things he had told me. I felt anxious having conversations with his friends, afraid that I might let something accidentally slip and breaking patient confidentiality. I feel as if I now must remain a professional outside my professional environment.

This experience was not void of good and bad aspects. The good part about the experience was interacting with patients who I could relate better to as most of the patients were from the university. The good part about interacting with someone I had was familiar with and felt indifferent about was being able to develop mutual respect amongst one another. This mutual respect was found from interacting on a deeply intimate level. The bad part about this experience is that I interact with the individual and his friends on a regular basis. This is difficult because I feel burdened with his deepest secrete that I must withhold from everyone around him.

In hindsight, having had the opportunity to reflect and go through the literature concerning the provision of medical care to patients whom you have prior non-professional relationships with, I have been able to make sense of some of the events. I realized that the experience was initially uncomfortable because the patient and I were indifferent about each other. A qualitative study was conducted regarding medical students’ experience of working with prisoners, one of the themes identified in the study was that it was a learning experience (Brooker, Hu, Reath & Abbott, 2018). One of the lessons learned was the development of enhanced professional qualities (Brooker, Hu, Reath & Abbott, 2018). Although my patient was not a prisoner, I was able to relate it to my experience as it is highly likely that the medical students working with the prisoners did not have the same values or moral beliefs as the prisoners they were treating. The strategies the students used included consciously focusing on being non-judgemental and focus on being a competent health care provider (Brooker, Hu, Reath & Abbott, 2018). Regarding prior non-professional relationship, I learned that it complicates the professional patient-healthcare provider relationship in various ways. Regarding, my situation I was able to identify two concerns. The first concern was that due to the personal relationship it may have affected my ability to ask some information in the subjective evaluation and it also affected my ability to conduct some subjective and objective assessments as they may have made the patient feel embarrassed (Hojman, 2015). I also release that it is going to be difficult to maintain the patient confidentiality as if his friends were to approach me to ask about his health condition, they would be approaching me as a friend as opposed to a health care worker (Hojman, 2015).

In hindsight, having done some reflection and research regarding treating people you have a non-professional relationship with, what I could have done better is to explain to my clinician that I know the patient and I would prefer not to treat them for the above reasons. I realized that to do so would have been the more appropriate thing to do, as the assessment and treatment I gave him could have been inferior in comparison to someone in a more objective position and it has also put me in a position where I’m more likely to compromise patient confidentiality.

If a similar situation arises in the future having had this experience what I will do if it is a friend or family member is to refer them to someone with an objective perspective. As opposed to completely washing my hands off them I will support them through the process by offering education and advice to help them better understand the processes that they may be going through.

Reference

Brooker, R., Hu, W., Reath, J., & Abbott, P. (2018). Medical student experiences in prison health services and social cognitive career choice: a qualitative study. BMC Medical Education18(1). doi: 10.1186/s12909-017-1109-7

Hojman, H. (2015). A Friend’s Request for Treatment. The AMA Journal Of Ethic17(5), 428-431. doi: 10.1001/journalofethics.2015.17.5.ecas3-1505

Okes, D. (2018). Search Twitter – #DonOkes. Retrieved from https://twitter.com/hashtag/DonOkes?src=hash

2 thoughts on “The unpleasantries of friendship and healthcare provision

1. Hi Mfundo

Thank you for sharing your writing piece with us. I have never been in a situation like this, but I can only imagine how challenging it was for you. Thank you for sharing this experience with us, as I believe that we all can take a lesson out of it. I think you handled the situation very well to set personal feelings aside to provide the best possible treatment for the patient. I can only imagine the struggle you now face with confidentiality as you and the patient have the same acquaintances.

Your text reflects the topics we discussed in class and I believe that it is very important to set aside personal beliefs when treating a patient in order to provide the best possible care towards them. The references you have included supports your writing well and makes your piece stronger. I suggest that you try to add one more reference to build on it even further.

Another suggestion is that you might consider using shorter sentences. For example in paragraph 3: “The bad part about this experience is that I interact with the particular individual and his friends on a regular basis and I feel this burden that I am caring to weigh on my shoulders as if he has trusted me with his deepest secrete that I have to withhold from everyone around him.” As well as in paragraph 5: “I realized that to it would have been the more appropriate thing to do as the assessment and treatment I gave him could have been inferior in comparison to someone in a more objective position and it has also put me in a position where I’m more likely to compromise patient confidentiality”. Try to break these sentences up in order to make it easier to read your piece and improve the flow of it.

Just a few grammar considerations:
    Paragraph 1: add a date before April
    Change “western cape” to “Western Cape”
    Paragraph 2, sentence 7: change “floats” to “floated”. I also suggest that you break that sentence up and make it two sentences.
    Paragraph 3, sentence 3: change “medical students” to “medical students’ “

I really enjoyed reading your draft and look forward to your final piece. Good luck with all the assignments and rest of block.

Deone ?

2. Hi Mfundo
    Thank you for sharing your experience. It was an interesting piece and now I understanding from your point of view how it feels to be treating someone you know. I have never been in such a situation myself but I can imagine how it must have felt.

The content clearly reflects the topic you are writing about, about patient confidentiality and privacy, which reflect the content of the module.

The example you included of your clinical experience links nicely with the topic you have chosen to write about. You express how this event made you feel in the clinical setting as well as how it affected you outside the clinical setting, which we do not hear a lot about.

I see no art included in your writing piece. The reason I would say it is nice to have a piece of art with your writing piece is that it gives the reader a visual picture to connect to as well. Having a good piece of art that connects to your content will make the reader more intrigued to continue reading. When you found the picture/art you want to use, explain what you see in the picture, why you chose this specific picture and how it connects to your clinical experience and your writing piece.

The claims you make in your writing piece are supported by evidence and referenced properly. Try to add in a few more references to add to your writing piece.

P1S1: You did not put in the day of April it happened.
    P1S1: “University of the Western Cape clinic”
    P1S3: You start the sentence with “On a day…”. You can make it “One day…”
    P1S6: He “revealed”. And a comma before which
    P1, last sentence: The last few words the sentence where you say “we still pass each other and give awkward greetings.” Maybe change it to “we still pass each other and greet each other awkwardly.”

P2, sentence in the middle: You say ” …hostility gradually floats away,”. Should be “…gradually floating away,”
    P2, third sentence from the bottom: Place a comma after respect. “…developed mutual respect as soon..”
    Some of your sentences is a bit long, try to make two sentences or shorter. And another suggestion which is purely an opinion and something I would like, do not know if you would agree, is that you use a lot of “big” words if I can say it like that, which sometimes is not necessary and can take away from your piece’s impact.

I hope you understand the comments I made and that it is helpful. All the best with the final submission.