Time of death

“And in the end, when the life went out of him and my hands could not work no more, I left that place into the night and wept-for myself, for life, for that tragedy of deaths coming. Then I rose and walking back to the suffering house forgot again my own wounds, for the sake of healing theirs.”- Anonymous ER Dr

Death is inevitable. At some point in your life, everyone will have to deal with the death of a loved one or even just acquaintances who somehow made an impact in your life. e.g Some one who you walk past and greets you every day. The way people  deal with death is by being surrounded by family, friends and support groups as they have experienced similar losses(Smith, M. Robinson, L. Segal, J. 2019).  You are also given time off to mourn the death of a person.

Losing a patient in a clinical setting is different to losing a loved one. You are not given time to mourn as you have other patients to attend to. You mourn on your own, this usually happens when you leave the clinical setting. There is no-one you mourn with, you are somehow scared to talk to the family or you don’t see them. You do not talk to clinicians as you are uncomfortable or you might feel like you are wasting their time. A study conducted on foundation year doctors experiences of death and dying showed that only 11% of the participants received support from consultants and educational supervisors(Linklater, GT, 2010). I experienced this during my first block.

My first 4th year block was at Paarl Hospital, during this block 2 of my patients died. This was the first time I lost patients due to death. I had a feeling that one was going to die but not the other one. I somehow could deal with the one’s death, but not the other one that was sudden. A qualitative study done on the effects of patient death on medical students in the emergency department showed that unexpected deaths were more emotionally moving than expected death(Batley, N. et al. 2017)

I cannot remember the specifics of the patient, but what I can remember is what happened and how I felt. This patient was initially seen by my clinician and then she handed him over to me. I can’t remember what his diagnosis was, all I know is that he had a laparotomy and my clinician asked me to check his chest and mobilise him to a chair. The first time I treated him was on a Tuesday and on that day I was unable to mobilise him to a chair as he was to weak and I could not mobilise him alone and no one was around to assist me. I then saw him the Wednesday, he was feeling stronger and I was able to mobilise him to the chair. The doctors were at his bedside while I was mobilising him and was complimenting him on how strong he is and how nice he’s sitting. The Thursday morning my clinician gave me my patients for the day like she does everyday. I looked at my list of patients and saw that this patient was not on the list, so I asked my clinician about him and she said that he had died.

I remember that I wanted to ask her, how? When? What? But I could not say anything, so I just said okay and left the room. I kept on thinking that I caused his death. The rest of that day and the following week I could not stop thinking about this patient, I was also more careful with the management of my other patients. I realised that the University does not prepare us for this. It is only in our 4th year where we talk about death and even though we talk about it, we as students do not know how to deal with the death of a patient.

This raises the question of how does the university prepare students to deal with the death of a patient,so that it will not have an effect on the treatment of other patients and to ensure that the mental health of students are good. A study done on death as a learning experience for undergraduate medical students suggest that students should be educated on death in a clinical setting and trained on how to deal with death before going on clinical rotations. It also states that it should be integrated, rather than isolated in the curriculum. Staff should be trained on how to support student when they experience death of a patient(Smith-Han, K. Martyn, H. Barret, A. Nicholson, H. 2016). I fully agree with suggestions and conclusion of this study. I did not talk to anyone about this experience and I think that is part of the reason why I still think about this patient today. I would encourage students who go through this to talk to family, friends, lecturers and fellow students.

References

Smith, M. Robinson, L. Segal, J. (2019). Coping with Grief and Loss. retrieved from https://www.helpguide.org/articles/grief/coping-with-grief-and-loss.htm

Linklater, GT. (2010). Educational needs of foundation doctors caring for dying patients. J R Coll Physicians Edinb. 40:13-8.

Batley, N. et al. (2017). The effect of patient death on medical students in the emergency department. BMC Medical Education. 17:110

Smith-Han, K. Martyn, H. Barret, A. Nicholson, H. (2016). That’s not what you expect to do as a doctor, you know, you don’t expect your patients to die.” Death as a learning experience for undergraduate medical students. BMC Medical Education. 16:108

3 thoughts on “Time of death

1. substance: good
    post was good, it had detail as to what the writer was feeling and portrayed it very well to the reader. i find the topic interesting because there are a couple of us who have experienced loss in the work place but continued to keep a smile on our faces pretending to be unbothered.
    synthesis of content: satisfactory
    this is a discussion that is already felt by some of us in the work place, and now that someone has raised it, it makes it easier knowing that i am not the only one. the writing is good however it is a little bit predictable.
    engagement: satisfactory
    the writer approaches the writing with politeness and respect and follows group norms
    writing style: satisfactory
    i picked up a few grammatical errors and the piece does not have very good punctuation. the reader needs a break to soak everything in without rushing to finish the sentence.
    references: poor
    no references included
    time: excellent
    the assignment is handed in on time
    information literacy: poor
    no links to additional media

2. Dear Robert

Thank you for sharing your piece with me, I’m sorry that you had to experience this. Death is never easy to deal with, especially unexpected deaths. Unfortunately I can relate to what you have experienced and to the way you are feeling. I have also lost two patients in my current block and I learnt about both their deaths by realizing that their names were not on my patient load the next morning. I think it is important for us to talk to someone about it, we don’t need to divulge many details about the patient but we need to make peace with their death. I felt a similar way to you about speaking to the clinician about it, as we assume they have dealt with so much death already that they just see it as part of the day/ job.

I also don’t think that you should carry the burden of thinking that you are somehow responsible for your patient’s death, especially if you know that you followed all precautions and contra indications.

You expressed your thoughts and emotions very well about one of the topics we have covered in class but lacked evidence to support your argument. Try to find evidence to support your claims, as this may strengthen your argument and writing piece (then add the references as in text references too). Maybe you could explore how we can deal with death better or how the university can better equip us for dealing with death. Your piece thus far has a logical flow and easy to read and follow, it can just be strengthened if you have literature to substantiate your argument.

I think that your title is very fitting, maybe adding a picture relating to your topic and title could also grab the readers attention just before they start reading the content of your piece, this will make it more intriguing for the reader.

Grammatical and spelling suggestions:
    Paragraph 1, line 1- everyone is one word
    Paragraph 1, line 2- e.g. not E.g.
    Paragraph 2, line 1- different situation? Add a word after the word ‘different’
    Paragraph 2, line 4- too not ‘to’
    Paragraph 2, line 5- and no one was around to assist me
    Paragraph 2 line 6- Doctors were
    Paragraph 2, line 7- everyday
    Paragraph 2, line 9- he had died
    Last paragraph, line 1- rephrase; how does one/ how does the university
    Last paragraph, line 1- patient, so
    Last paragraph, last line- lecturers

Well done on a very thoughtful piece, I hope these suggestions can strengthen your writing piece.

All the best
    Zara Van Neel

3. Hi Robert

Thank you for your piece. I am sorry that you had to deal with the death of patients. I am able to relate with regards to losing patients and the feeling you had thereafter. As Zara mentioned prior that you should not feel as if you caused their death. You gave the patient the best you could, never doubt that. I do agree that it is hard to speak to clinicians regarding the death of your patient and that the university has not prepared us in terms of handling the death of a patient.

Substance and synthesis: you had good substance. the topic is one that is felt by many students. you have elaborated well with regards to the topic. you were able to use a topic and incorporate the work discussed in class. you were able to draw connections between other posts. You have revealed insight, however perhaps looking at literature on ideas of how students should cope with the death of patients, this could even benefit those reading and relating to the article, as you have identified the weakness of unpreparedness of death among patients.

Engagement: I felt that you engaged well with the topic, you provided a very detailed experienced that captures the reader and enables the reader to relate to the experience.

References: no references added, as mentioned prior to research coping strategies

All the best
    Aly 🙂