T.H.U.G L.I.F.E

“What you feed us as seeds, grows and blows up in your face.” This is the meaning of THUG LIFE. Tupac Shakur stated that the phrase is actually an acronym for “The Hate U Gave Little Infants F*cks Everybody”. I recently read a book called, The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. The books title was derived from this concept. It is a young adult novel which focuses on the life of Starr, a 16 year old black female in America. It tells the story about her life, how she has to act when she’s at home in “the hood” and when she is at her private high school in the suburbs. The uneasy balance between these two places is shattered when she is the only witness to the fatal shooting of her unarmed best friend by a police officer (Thomas, 2017). One of the prevalent themes of the book is how the oppressive systems that keep minorities from getting ahead feed into the cycle of crime, violence, and poverty that dominates poor communities (Pierre, 2018). The ethical dilemma which I faced during my time in clinicals is the violation of human rights and lack of services which occurs daily and how this will affect the patients in the long term.

Within the clinical setting, you come across people from diverse backgrounds, religions and social standings. Working in the government hospitals, with these different patients, opened my eyes to the poverty within our country, and how this affects the majority of South Africans. One of the patients I saw had burned himself severely on his lower leg, but being from a poor community he was unable to get the treatment he needed immediately. Living within the Cape Flats, in a “Red Zone”, this refers to areas classified as too dangerous for ambulance workers to move about freely, they have to go in with a police escort (Hendricks, 2018), he had difficulty in accessing the resources needed for treatment, therefore he ended up needing an above the knee amputation as the wound went septic. Had this patient been able to access the resources needed, he would have been able to save his leg. According to our constitution and the Bill of rights everyone has the right to have access to ­health care services (“Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996 – Chapter 2: Bill of Rights | South African Government”, 2019).  Before the injury and amputation, the patient worked as a labourer part time, finding odd jobs where he could. This is where the main theme in the book about poverty comes in, and how the cycle will just keep repeating itself as the patient will no longer be able to do hard manual labour. Thus, contributing to the unemployment within our country and having another person not being able to make it out of that poverty cycle.

We can interpret what Tupac was saying about, “What you feed us as seeds, grows and blows up in your face.” as children being uneducated about the spread of diseases, growing up, contracting a disease then spreading it, and repeating the cycle all over again. An example of this is the spread of HIV/AIDS as many of the patients admitted to hospital are RVD+. “The estimated overall HIV prevalence rate is approximately 13,1% among the South African population. The total number of people living with HIV is estimated at approximately 7,52 million in 2018. For adults aged 15–49 years, an estimated 19,0% of the population is HIV positive” (Statistics, 2018). Being ill and unable to get better could play into being unemployed and needing to receive a grant from the government to help sustain you and your family. This does not help the economy to grow, and therefore keeping the poverty cycle going.

Reading “The Hate U Give”, and then working in a government clinical setting, I could see the connection the author was trying to make between growing up poor, surrounded by crime and violence and lacking the resources needed within that community, how the poverty cycle bleeds into the decisions made by adults and how this can affect our economy, letting the cycle carry on and repeat itself. As a health professional, working within this setting we cannot break this cycle, but perhaps we could be part of a system which tries to better our patients by educating them and returning them to their highest level of function so that they may attempt to break it themselves. Lucius Annaeus Seneca said, “Sometimes even to live is an act of courage”.

References

Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996 – Chapter 2: Bill of Rights | South African    Government. (2019). Retrieved 18 August 2019, from https://www.gov.za/documents/constitution/chapter-2-bill-rights

Hendricks, A. (2018, August 15). Paramedics seen as soft targets by criminals on the Cape Flats. Retrieved August 25, 2019, from GroundUp: https://www.groundup.org.za/article/paramedics-seen-soft-targets-criminals-cape-flats/

Lucius Annaeus Seneca Quotes. (n.d.). BrainyQuote.com. Retrieved September 13, 2019, from BrainyQuote.com Web site: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/lucius_annaeus_seneca_10471

Pierre, M. (2018, October 28). The Story Behind The Hate U Give’s Title Is as Powerful as the Film. Retrieved August 10, 2019, from POPSUGAR: https://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Meaning-Behind-Hate-U-Give-Movie-Title-45400884

Statistics, S. A. (2018). Mid-year population estimates. Pretoria.

Thomas, A. (2017). The Hate U Give. Great Britain: Walker Books Ltd.

3 thoughts on “T.H.U.G L.I.F.E

1. I found your piece to be very powerful. I have also read the book as well as watched the film, The Love U Hate to Give. I thought the connect you made between your clinical experience and the themes of the book were well presented. Your piece provoked a lot of thoughts and I felt quite uneasy about the facts you presented, it is scary to think that so many individuals are stuck in the vicious cycle of poverty and in term it detrimental to their health. So you have raised a very important issue which I enjoyed reading!
    I am just a bit unsure of what your clinical dilemma is/ethical issue exactly. Perhaps just define that? I assume its the dilemma of patients not being unable to receive treatment due to their circumstances especially the youth? (poverty cycle)? Because you have mentioned many issues, just wanted to know what your main focus is?
    Perhaps, an introductory sentence that intrigues the reader a bit more? Because the content in your piece is really intriguing and I didn’t want to stop reading but I feel perhaps the starting line/introductory sentence could change to really get the reader’s attention.
    Other than that, no need to change/fix anything, I really think your piece is just powerful and really will leave the reader in shock and hopefully inspire change. If change is not going to come from the higher powers, we as practitioners need to bring about change where possible.
    Well done a great piece!
    P.s. RIP Tupac, may his legacy live on!

2. Aaqilah, I absolutely love your piece that you have written and how powerful it is. I think that it is extremely relevant to the crime and violence currently occuring in South Africa. You have definitely given me more insight into this novel and film which I will definitely have to read/watch. I had always heard of the term “T.H.U.G. L.I.F.E” but never knew that it stood for- so thank you for informing me about what it actually means.
    The opening line of your introduction, I think, can be a bit more inviting to the reader. Perhaps include the meaning of “T.H.U.G. L.I.F.E” as the first sentence of your introduction or the quote ““What you feed us as seeds, grows and blows up in your face.” By doing this will make the reader really want to read further.
    “What you feed us as seeds, grows and blows up in your face.”- This quote for me really stands out. In our communities children are growing up being exposed to violence and crime and they then become accustomed to this way of living thus continuing the cycle.

You have really written this well and relate back to the topic throughout the piece. You ended your piece with a very strong conclusion. You can see that I have very little criticism to give as you have gone way and beyond the guidelines of this assignment. Thank you for the lovely read!
    – Alex Heiberg

3. Hi Aaqilah

What a powerfull, though sad and eye opening piece. I haven’t read the book and also wondered what “THUG LIFE” meant. Thank you for teaching me that. I have also experienced situations where patients only went to a clinic or doctor weeks or months after the actual incident as they couldn’t go at that time – when the “incident” became an actual problem for them, restricting them to participate in normal activities, then only they made contact with a doctor.

I agree with both Keegan and Alex with regards to your introduction. Maybe provide the meaning of “THUG LIFE” at the beginning instead of at the end as Alex sugggested. Furthermore, Ithe link between your title, piece and your actual dilemma I also feel is not clear. Clearly state that within your peice as you have used a great clinical example, but the connection is just not there.

Overall, You have a great, well written piece. Thank you for sharing your experience.
    Maresa