The right thing to do

The South African institution states that everyone has the right to health; however some of the hospitals do no abide to those principles, although they might have justifiable reasons for that. In this writing I will be exploring whether it is ethical to discharge patients even if they have not yet recovered to make space for other patients or not.

In a placement I had previously I was referred to a patient who had an above knee amputation. They told me the patient needs to be discharged that day and I should teach her how to mobilise with elbow crutches. When I assessed the patient, I found out that she was not stable enough to be discharged with the elbow crutches. She still needed more time to practice, improve balance and increase strength. However, the doctor insisted that I discharge the patient.

I did not feel right with this decision. However, because I am a student, I felt that it was not my place to argue with the doctor as they are more experienced than I am. I further asked one of my clinicians, as I wanted to understand, as to why is this happening. He further explained to me that they are making space or they are clearing beds for other patients.

That made think a lot. I had an argument in my mind trying to figure out which is the right or ethical thing to do. To discharge patients who not yet ready to be discharged to make space or wait until the patient is in a good condition to be discharged. Personally I feel it is right to fully treat patients until they are in a good condition to be discharged.

References

@randyrieland, F. (2019). How Hospitals are Trying to Keep You Out of the Hospital. Retrieved 25 August 2019, from https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/how-hospitals-are-trying-to-keep-you-out-of-the-hospital-1491591/

3 thoughts on “The right thing to do

1. Hi there!
    This is a very nice topic and I am sure a lot of people will experience this type of dilemma at least once in their live, especially here in South Africa where there are an inquiry for space in the public hospitals.

However you did make a few grammar errors, one example is – “That made think a lot” (just add me)
    as well as “argument in my mind” could maybe improve by saying ‘inner conflict’. Just read through your text again and make sure you did not make any other errors.

Also I noticed that you mentioned in the first paragraph that you will explore whether it is ethical to discharge patients but then further on, there are no real conclusion to what you found regarding that, and I suggest that you could get an article to support your claim.
    Have you considered explaining the picture and the relevance of it to your reflection?
    Lastly, remember to cite your references.

Hope this helped!
    Thanks

2. Good evening!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I can relate to your dilemma, as I was placed in the same position on my previous block.

You made a few grammar errors , “however some of the hospitals do no abide” – just change the no to not, “discharge patients who not” – change the who to who is not.

Could you maybe share how you dealt with your inner conflict when you felt that the patient should not be discharged? You could also use articles as evidence on how you should go about a situation like this and what is the right procedure to follow post operation.

I liked the picture you used as your art piece as it correlated with how beds need to be cleared do that the next patient can be admitted. Could you maybe go more in depth in regards to why you chose this specific picture?

3. Hello
    I enjoyed reading your post, and found I could relate to it as I have also been in this situation.
    Have you perhaps thought about adding an in-text reference, and an explanation as to why you chose this specific picture?
    Thanks