Words of encouragement

All on you

The quote “The quality of your life depends on the level of your commitment” made me realise that what I have said to my patient may have been too harsh for words of encouragement. From my clinical viewpoint, ‘the quality of your life…’ could imply the quality of a patient’s recovery or rehabilitation in order to enjoy normal activities of life (Shiel, 2018), while ‘…depends on your level of commitment’ may refer to the patient’s determination and dedication (Miller & O’Toole, 2003) to treatment and exercise for recovery, with or without the therapist’s presence. Furthermore, depending on the patient’s adherence to exercise, his or her recovery could have two outcomes. This relates to the two pathways in the picture. If the patient commits to the rehabilitation programme, he or she will have a better recovery outcome that could be represented by the pathway on the right where the sun strikes the path. On the other hand, if the patient does not commit to the rehabilitation programme, his or her recovery will reach a plateau and further recovery might be difficult, representing the pathway on the left where the shadows of the trees strike the path.  

While I was on general block, I had a patient with an intercostal drain (ICD). During his treatment session he asked me “How long will I have to stay here?” and my immediate response was “It all depends on you”. Afterwards I thought I could have said it in a better way, but once ones words are spoken, there is no turn back – only ‘cover ups’. What I mean by this is that as soon as we realise that we may have said something ‘wrong’, we try and justify what we’ve said. For example, I tried to justify what I have said by saying “There is a certain amount of fluid that must be drained before the doctor would decide you are good to go” which is true; however, that is not the only criteria for the removal of chest drains. The criteria include the following: drainage of less than 100mℓ within 24 hours; minimal swinging indicating that the lung re-expanded; an x-ray showing full lung expansion; breath sounds over the whole thorax on auscultation; and an absence of any air leak (Farrel, 2019). I could have added that I can see progress in his rehabilitation, by comparing the amount of fluid he drains per day, and his determination to continue with his exercises after his session. I do not think that what I have told my patient encouraged him enough to coninue with the exercises I have suggested to do while I was not present.

According to a programme presented by Plack at the American Physical Therapy Associate’s annual conference in 2012 (Ries, 2016), there are 7 ways to improve a patient’s commitment to therapy. Plack states that a patient has to be motivated, a common goal has to be chosen and focused on, a change in the patient’s behaviour has to be facilitated, determination and commitment has to be enhanced, factors standing in the way of the patient’s commitment must be identified and prevented, knowledge on the patient’s condition and the benefits of therapy and exercise must be improved, and lastly, change must be maintained and improved through behaviour therapy (Ries, 2016).

Trust and motivation are some of the key elements in a patient-therapist relationship. First you gain your patient’s trust, thereafter you motivate him to stick to the treatment plan in order to reach the common goal. The above quote made me realise how important encouragement, apart from the patient’s own commitment, is. We are taught to improve our patients’ knowledge on their condition and motivate them to keep up with the good work; however, we sometimes forget how important it is to link the benefits of the treatment to the recovery from or delay in worsening of the condition. 

At this point in my clinical experience I have to admit, I normally focus on providing the necessary treatment and exercise for my patients, and do not always build the typical caring-compassionate relationship with them. In my opinion, I do not fully adhere to the principle of beneficence as I am supposed to in a health care profession, such as physiotherapy.

References

3 thoughts on “Words of encouragement

1. Hi Maresa
    I really like the picture you have chosen with its quote. The quote itself is really emphatic and applies directly to us and the way you have broken it up and explained it is perfect. Maybe just add a little more on the background picture, perhaps mention the split in the road and what that could signify in relation to quote. Also maybe find a reference that relates to how you defined quality of life and patient commitment.

The way you described your experience is very well written and is something I know I have also done in the past (telling the truth but also not the whole truth). Maybe at the end of that paragraph add how you think what you said might have impacted on the patients ‘level of commitment to improve is quality of life’.

The layout and organisation of your work is really good with a clear and logical flow with good grammar.

What really interested me the most was the 7 ways to improve a patients commitment to therapy, as some of those points with the biggest being the patients behaviour and the role we can play in changing it so that they can be more committed.

Overall I think it is really well written with perhaps the only slight changes to be made are the constant referral back to the piece of artwork used and its significance. I feel that this experience is one that we all go through at some point in the field we work in.
    Michael Harebottle

2. Hi Maresa. Your work is well written and is interesting . I am sure most of us if not all of us ,we will come across this situation in our career as clinicians. I like how you were able to link the picture with your writing however at first paragraph I feel that you must explained more about the picture’s background. I also like that you references your work this show that you did some research about your topic. I feel like you must also include the definition of quality of life. overall your work is well presented .thanks for good work, just change small errors. All the best . Hulisani.

3. Hello Maresa
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your piece on “words of encouragement”. The picture and quote that you have chosen relates well to your own experiences of clinical practice. A patient’s commitment plays a massive role in their road to recovery and as a therapist it is important to encourage this commitment- just like you have explained in your piece. With regards to the quote and picture chosen- you have explained the quote nicely, however I would encourage you to perhaps give more information on commitment and possibly components of commitment.
    With regards to the picture, I would suggest referring back to it more often in your piece. When I first looked at your piece- the picture of the two roads really attracted my attention. Perhaps elaborate more on the two roads and where they lead to- maybe where the one road leads to if a patient shows no commitment and where the other one leads to if a patient does show commitment.

I have had a similar experience with a patient where I gave him false hope about his recovery and I feel as though sometimes we do this as we just want to make them feel better about their situation, whatever it may be. Looking at patients’ holistically, I think, will make your treatment more meaningful and will create a better outcome.
    You have organized the piece really well and I love how you have incorporated the 7 ways to improve a patient’s’ commitment to therapy. Just change “determination continue” to “continued” in the last sentence of the second paragraph.
    Good luck for the rest of the year.
    – Alex Heiberg