CAPSIZED

Capsized: to (cause a boat or ship to) turn upside down by accident while on water (“CAPSIZE | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary”, 2019).

The life of 3rd year physiotherapy student. As the world as he knew it got turned upside down, so too was the lives of many others…

Everything social as a whole has come to a pause. Friends, family events and anything deemed irrelevant to studies was put on hold as clinical blocks started.

“Patients come first” and “the patient has the right to good rehabilitation” was a couple of phrases often used by clinicians and supervisors alike. This meant that no matter what you were doing, attend to a patient in need. This became apparent as meeting and speaking to certain individuals, some of which were the breadwinners in the family. I never realized how serious a simple pedestrian vehicle accident or robbery gone wrong could affect lives of many.

Being bedridden, stuck in hospital, all these people could think about was are their children being fed and do their boss know that they are stuck in hospital.

As a professional health care practitioner, you want your patient to be treated to the best of your ability and leave in the best condition possible. Unfortunately, you get stuck in this predicament where the patient wants to be discharged as soon as possible just to get back to work. This is a test I had to face daily as patients begged to be discharged.

The day it hit hard was when I was faced with many complications at the same time. The patient wanting to go back home, the nurse saying “no you must exercise with the physio”, the physio saying “I am not a doctor I cannot discharge you”, the doctor saying “tell her i said no” and then having to speak to the sister of the patient and try to explain why we cannot discharge the patient only to find out the next day that the patient had passed away, and just like that the families lives has capsized.

That is how quickly your life could turn upside down.

REFERENCES

CAPSIZE | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary. (2019). Retrieved 13 September 2019, from https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/capsize

Un viaje a las imágenes de Kingabrit. (2019). Retrieved 13 September 2019, from https://www.estachingon.com/2014/10/un-viaje-las-imagenes-de-kingabrit.html

3 thoughts on “CAPSIZED

1. I like your title and how it relates to the art piece you have chosen. You could try to elaborate more on your art piece and try to link it to your reflection so that the reader can get a better understanding of why you chose that specific art piece. Also, instead of giving a general overview in your reflection, perhaps you should try to link your reflection to a specific incident you experienced during your clinical block. Also try to add one or two references to your reflection, for example you could define one of the terms used in your reflection and reference it.

2. I like the title and the image you used in your post. However, I feel as though the post in very short and lacks a personal aspect to it. I do not feel as though you really linked the image to the writing in the post. I feel as though the title and the image match, along with the theme of the overall post. However I do feel that it is lacking in detail and lacking in personal experience. Perhaps you could link what you have already written with an an experience you had in which you had to give up personal time and a time where you came to the realization how much the patient really needs us and how something we might not consider as serious, could affect a patient in more ways than one. You are definitely on the right track, just add some more information to the post. Also, add two or more references to the post, for example, the meaning of the art work and who the artist was etc. Other than that, a very good effort so far! I look forward to reading the finished post!

3. I like your title and how it relates to your piece of art as well as your reflection. The theme fits nicely together I would suggest just adding a bit more to your post and maybe even relating what you already have to a specific scenario or patient interaction. I’d also suggest maybe adding a reference or two, but otherwise I really like where your post is heading and it’s very relatable. Good work so far