A leader is human too!

In all history of human kind there has been always one trusted to lead. Lead a family, a community, a region, a province, a nation and so forth. He that assumed the responsibility of leading must have met a certain criteria which is ideally a set standard but by whom, that is a question.

Ethically dilemma is being caught up in the middle of carrying out instructions from your leader and siding with the part of the “undoable-scenario” if there is such a word. In this case a leader is a physiotherapist/clinician and the “undoable-scenario” refers to all factors of impossibility( things like age of patient, impairments of patient).

This is a picture of a Fulani boy leading herd of cattle. The Fulani are widely associated across West Africa as cattle herders, raising their own breed. The Fulani are traditionally a pastoral nomadic cattle-herding people from the Western Sahara-Sahel region of West Africa. The Fulani were an important element within Medieval and early Modern West Africa Civilization, helping to shape events and leaving there mark throughout the region.

In a clinical setting, information is transferred through practical components of hands on approach, physical interventions and tangible modalities. From my very first day of clinical block, I always highly regarded it as an actual taste of “real-life” ,this is to regards of all that theory work which I failed to link in up. I am highly taken by how clinician just make sense and bring to life all the techniques, manipulations and tests in between every page of a textbook.

I am a firm believer that the clinician’s secret is experience like really think about it, all clinical reasoning and modification of known approaches. Their source of knowledge is seeing all these new cases on a daily encounter. To master the skill of transferring acquired knowledge is what I regard as a leader. A clinician is all that and more to me. Linking the picture to my experience a herd of cattle represents a group of hard working physicians, practitioners and professionals which are led by a young boy which is to represent that the leader too has things to learn too, mistakes too and is a human too.

I remember a particular case where I had finished my round of patients early and I was about to go on lunch, but my clinical walked in our little Physio-gym and assigned me to issue out a crutch to a 93 year old female who lives alone in a huge house in Durbanville side, she recently fractured her hip as she fell trying to reach for a book on a high shelf. Her married daughter normally comes twice a week to check up on her 93 year old mother. She found her mother on the floor quiet and motionless and that striked fear in her heart as that picture reminded her of her father’s death which took place months ago. Now on this day she is being discharged and I’m assigned to teach her how to use a crutch. On my assessment I discover that she has poor dynamic balance in sitting but I go on to assess static balance in standing and immediately she leans on my side with 80% of her weight on me. So I conclude that she is not fit to be mobile with a crutch , as I relay this information to my clinician she tells me that I must re-assess my 93 year old as the doctors declared she can full weight bear(FWB), again on my findings I am not pleased to issue her a crutch especially knowing she is living all alone, the are high chances of she will fall again. As I relay this information to my clinician out of frustration she snatches the crutch on my hand and she says I must follow her she will assess the patient, and so she did as well and found that the patient indeed has poor balance and just left the patient in a chair next to her hospital bed saying “Ma’am you have to stay with your daughter for some while”. Standing there and hearing those words from my clinician made to feel more companion towards her and to understand that she is also a human.

One thought on “A leader is human too!

1. Hey Mr Twani i have read your post and have enjoyed it especially the artwork you used and your explanation of it thereafter but i am having a difficulty to grasp the relevance of it to what you experienced with your clinician. Also can you please try to explain how was this your dilemma and how did you feel at the time. Also consider having some literature backup for your post like how are clinicians considered “leaders” and for your artwork and explanation as in where did you get the information. Otherwise i like how you executed the post, your introduction was perfect but along the post i get lost in finding the relevance