Crystal Meth and Pregnancy

writing 3 image

According to Watt, Meade, Kimani, Macfarlane, Choi et al. (2013), crystal methamphetamine commonly referred to as ‘tik’ is considered to be the second most widely abused drug worldwide. It is an addictive synthetic psychostimulant that increases energy and feelings of euphoria, among other physiological effects. The physiological impact of this drug as proposed by the clinical and epidemiological research conducted in the United States also include increased wakefulness and physical activity, decreased appetite, hypervigilance, arousal, restlessness, aggression and violent behaviour (Watt, Meade, Kimani, Choi et al., 2013). I selected the above image as it made me reflect back on one of the patients that I encountered in the clinical setting. Upon my initial subjective assessment of this particular patient I was informed that she was indeed a methamphetamine user. The information disclosed to me in no way posed an impact on my willingness to assess and treat this patient. However, upon asking the patient whether she had any children she indicated that she had two children the youngest being 7 months. She went on to say that during the course of her pregnancy with her last born she would often use methamphetamine. Following the disclosure of this information I found myself being quite bothered by the fact that she had used methamphetamine during her pregnancy and with no shame had provided me with this information. I thought about this encounter for quite some time and came to the realization that this particular encounter provided me with the opportunity to educate this patient on the potential dangers of methamphetamine use during pregnancy but how could I have educated her if I myself was not aware what the potential dangers were? My lack of knowledge failed me. As a result I took it upon myself to explore the dangers methamphetamine use poses on the fetus and the child later on in life. In addition, I developed an interest in the factors that may potentially drive women to make use of these substances during their pregnancies.

Methamphetamine can cross the placenta and have a detrimental impact on the fetus as well as related tissue (Anvari et al., 2015). In addition, some effects of the prenatal use of methamphetamine include a reduction in birth weight, cerebral haemorrhage, growth retardation, prematurity, cardiac anomalies, cleft palate and possible death (Anvari et al., 2015). Methamphetamine use possess vasoconstrictive effects which often results in reduced uteroplacental blood flow and hypoxia (Salisbury, Ponder, Padbury & Lester, 2009). According to Behnke and Smith (2019), during the fetal period after structural development is complete, drugs possess subtle effects on the fetus which often includes abnormal growth and maturation, alterations in neurotransmitters and their receptors as well as brain organization. Furthermore, drug abuse often impacts the delivery of substrates to the fetus for nutritional purposes due to placental insufficiency (Behnke & Smith, 2019).  The developing fetus is also more vulnerable to DNA changes (Behnke & Smith, 2019). Prenatal use of methamphetamine may have an impact on children later in life. The effects of prenatal methamphetamine use on the children at a later stage appear as cognitive problems including learning slower than peers, difficulties in organizing work and completing tasks as well as problems with concentrating on tasks that often require sustained mental effort. This often results in educational deficits (Diaz, Smith  & Lester, 2014). As a result of these cognitive problems, behavorial problems may arise as well. Children often display negative externalizing behaviour. According to Diaz, Smith and Lester (2014), the negative externalizing behaviour displayed by children who have been exposed to methamphetamine prenatally is potentially due to the frustration, lack of motivation and confusion they encounter when compared with their peers.

As previously mentioned, this particular encounter has made me ponder about the factors that often influence soon-to-be mothers to make use of crystal methamphetamine. According to Wouldes, Sheridan and Lagasse (2004), maternal drug use is often associated with general psychosocial risk factors which often include poverty, chaotic and dangerous lifestyles, symptoms of psychopathology, history of childhood sexual abuse, and involvement in difficult or abusive relationships with male partners.

After exploring the various effects that crystal methamphetamine use have on the developing fetus as well as the child later on life and the factors that often influence young women to abuse crystal methamphetamine, I now possess the knowledge required in order to educate patients battling with drug addiction. However, now possessing this knowledge it led me to ask myself the following question, ‘are health professionals and/or medical students indeed expected to educate patients battling with drug addiction ?’.

According to Yoast, Filstead, Wilford, Hayashi, Reenan and Epstein (2008), the abuse of substances often results in increased lives lost, illnesses and disabilities which subsequently takes a toll on the health and safety of individuals. This often places a great and unrecognized burden on the health system. Health professionals have the potential to play a positive role in influencing patients’ decisions regarding substance abuse (Yoast et al., 2008).  Screening as well as a brief intervention is considered to be effective especially when conducted in a clinical setting (Yoast et al., 2008).  In order for health professionals to provide education on substance abuse health professionals as well as medical students are required to be knowledgeable about this matter for them to be involved in the prevention, screening and intervention of patients who are battling with substance abuse (Yoast et al., 2008). 

The literature consulted thus indicates that it is imperative that health professionals and/ or medical students should educate patients on the harmful effects of substance abuse. In order for this to be conducted , medical students and/ or health professionals are expected to possess the knowledge on the harmful effects of substance abuse.  In addition, by exploring the factors that often influence the decision to use drugs it emphasizes the importance of taking  into account patients’ social context.

References:

Watt, M., Meade, C., Kimani, S., MacFarlane, J., Choi, K., Skinner, D., Pieterse, D., Kalichman, S., Sikkema, J. (2014). The impact of methamphetamine (“tik”) on a peri-urban community in Cape Town, South Africa. Int J Drug Policy 25(2): 219-225

Anvari, M., Mirjalili, T., Hosseini, M., Golzadeh, J., Halvaei, I., Danafar, A., Khoradmehr, A. (2015). Effect of prenatal methamphetamine administration during gestational days on mice. Iran J Reprod Med 13(1):41-48

Salisbury, A., Ponder, K., Padbury, J., Lester, B. (2009). Fetal Effects of Psychoactive Drugs. Clinics in Perinatology 36(3): 595-619

Bhenke, M., Smith, V. (2013). Prenatal Substance Abuse: Short- and Long-term Effects on the Exposed Fetus. Paediatrics 3(131)

Diaz, S., Smith, L., Lester, B. (2014). Effects of prenatal methamphetamine exposure on behavioral and cognitive findings at 7.5 years. J Pediatr 164(6): 1333-1338

Wouldes, T., Lagasse, L., Sheridan, J. Maternal methamphetamine use during pregnancy and child outcome: What do we know?. The New Zealand medical journal 117(1206)

Yoast, R., Filstead, W., Wilford,B., Hayashi, S., Reenan,J., Epstein, J. (2008). Teaching about substance abuse. AMA Journal of Ethics

2 thoughts on “Crystal Meth and Pregnancy

1. Hi Zielke,

Thank you for sharing your piece. I am going to give feedback following the rubric so it is easier to follow and more structured.

Substance/content: I don’t think your post is yet complete (in terms of it’s contribution and length), I think you have provided in-depth information on your topic but it has not contributed to an argument or an ethical dilemma. You provide the reader with insight into a personal experience, which is a very good thing, but instead of educating the reader about the topic, can you flesh out an argument or describe your ethical dilemma? You have the potential to do so with this topic. Perhaps you can not only draw on education and explanatory literature, but find literature or quotes that really provide an account of the mother’s perspective, perhaps a quote or short story insight?

Synthesis of content / Discussion / Reflection / Critical thought: I think you have chosen the topic of drugs and blended it with your own experience but you as I have said above, you haven’t created an ethical dilemma, you have rather chosen to explain a problem you encountered and educated the reader. I think if you restructure your writing and find additional evidence, you will be able to create an argument. Perhaps your dilemma could involve whether you think you actually have the right as a physiotherapist to educate the patient on this matter? How can you be sure that your education and explanation is going to make a difference? I think because there is no real ethical dilemma yet, you have not displayed critical/analytical thinking or analysed, synthesised, evaluated or applied knowledge in this way. You can also make more claims and substantiate them with more vigor. Lastly, because this links to a personal experience, take the opportunity to reflect in your writing, deal with your personal thoughts, flesh them out and reason with literature.

Engagement: Again, because there is no real ethical dilemma, you have not advanced the discussion by raising questions/ideas, you have participated in the topic but rather educated your reader on the effects on Tik. Once you have fleshed out your dilemma you will engage more thoroughly.

Writing style: When you start working on the piece again, try structure a compelling introduction (insight into your topic with a touch on your clinical experience/scenario, introduce the ethical dilemma), an informative body (statements and claims that are justified with literature, each paragraph touching on a point) and a satisfactory conclusion (this does not have to be a solution, it could just be coming to an understanding). You have a good writing style, make use of it to clearly link your ideas rather than to educate your audience with literature. There were no major spelling/grammar errors.

References: Posts and comments are fully referenced, you have used outside evidence but again these are educational and not really surrounding any claims.

Time/length: The post was submitted on time but the length of the work is not yet appropriate to the level of the project or guidance provided by the lecturer.

Information literacy: you have only linked to a picture, but you have the opportunity to link to multimedia to illustrate your main idea. Show the reader that you understand how to use technology to strengthen your argument.

I hope this helps you, Goodluck!

Jemma

2. Hi Zielke, I cannot find Sonali’s piece and I am therefore going to provide feedback on your piece as I thought it was an interesting topic. I hope this is okay with you.

Content:
    I think the topic of drug abuse, especially in pregnant women, is relevant to our ethics module as it is something that we have discussed in class. I think the text and the topic compliment each other well and it helps to create depth to the piece as a whole. However, I agree with Jemma in that you should try to engage more deeply into connecting your emotions and clinical experiences to the piece as I feel that it would assist in making it more thought-provoking. However, I think your paragraphs flowed really well and I think your description of your experience is strong intriguing!

Argument:
    Initially your argument was clear in that you felt there was an ethical issue in drug abuse in pregnant women, however, it was confusing to read further into the piece as it focussed more on how to educate a patient rather than what your ethical dilemma or argument towards the topic was. I suggest you describe how this experience has made you feel and how it is connected to physiotherapy.

References:
    good in-text referencing with the correct APA reference list

Writing:
    I agree with Jemma in that you could maybe reconsider the structure of the piece so that it is easier to follow, however, the text is easy to read and I think your paragraphs flowed really well with no grammatical errors.

I think it is a very well written piece with lots of intriguing statements.
    Good luck for your final submission!

Raadiyah x