When is Enough Enough?

Does verbal abuse trump a patients right to treatment?

How much verbal abuse is a therapist expected to take before they are allowed to refuse to treat someone. We are taught from the start of our degree that the patient always comes first that we cannot hold the view, actions and values of the patient against them when we are treating them. That we must provide the same quality of care to everyone no matter what the have done or what they say.

And although we must respect the patients right to refuse treatment we must have extenuating cause to refuse to treat a patient. This ultimately teaches us that we must put aside our own comfort for the comfort of our patients.

But how far does this stretch? Obviously our physical safety is more important than treating a patient and of they threaten or are inappropriate physically with us we have the right to stop treating them and walk away. But abuse and health are not always physical, one can take strain mentally and be abused verbally and emotionally. How much racism, sexism or any other type of verbal abuse do we take before we are “allowed” to remove ourselves from the situation.

Understandably there are some situations when someone is being verbally abusive due to the condition they have, but does that mean we need to put aside our own feelings and mental stability

One thought on “When is Enough Enough?

1. Hi Brynn,
    I enjoyed reading through your piece and found that I relate a lot to what you’ve written. It’s evident that most articles and ethical conduct is focused on how we as professionals treat our patients and not vice versa. The patients aren’t given a guide to tell them how they should act when addressed by a health professional so I found this to be quite relevant especially in the heath care sector. I did not find any grammatical errors. thus, could easily read through your piece with understanding. I noticed though that there aren’t any references so it would be great to add some literature to support your writing. I would also suggest adding a few more details about how one can go about addressing a patient who’s found to be inappropriate. That is, Some solutions to this ordeal would be great. Other than that I think your piece is good. You’re on the right track. All the best