Your Right or theirs

The cornerstone of the democracy in South Africa is the Bill of Rights. This is the rights of all people in the country and affirms the democratic values of human dignity, freedom and equality. Number 27 of the constitute states that every South African has the right to Health Care. This means that no one may be refused emergency medical treatment (South African Government, 2019).

During my second block I was placed in a rural area local Community Health Centre (CHC). They had a 1 hour booking service for out-patients’ that had been referred for Physiotherapy. If the patient had been late for the session then they would be given a re-booking date which would normally be a month waiting period. Normally most of the patients that attend physio are not fully aware what it entails.

This was evident on a day when a patient came for his physio appointment. He was stabbed on the lateral aspect of his elbow because he was caught stealing from another person. According to (General Ethical Guidelines for the Health Care Professions, 2008) the health professional should have a duty to treat the patient in best interest and not refuse or delay treatment because they feel that their actions has brought upon their condition. Therefore, I did an assessment on the patient. Following the assessment I wanted to give the patient a home exercise programme that would ease the patients’ symptoms. However, he refused and insisted on me giving him a pain injection. I then explained to him that I could not as this was not part of my duty and he got upset and kept insisting. He believed that I was violating his right to health care as I refused to give him a pain injection. At this point I was unsure of what to do next as I had to respect his refuse to treatment. I then went to ask my clinician and she advised the patient that if he does not want physio then he should consult a doctor at out-patient as he was “wasting another patients’ time”. This statement struck me because if he knew what physio is and did not want to be given exercise then he would not have made an appointment and allowed someone else their right to health care whom wanted physio and not having to wait long.

Although, the patient have a right to health care and should not be refused. It is also the responsibility of the patient to comply with the prescribed treatment or rehabilitation procedures and to know what his or her local health services offer (Western Cape Government, 2019). This would help aid in allowing other patients their Right to health care much earlier

References
(2008). General Ethical Guidelines for the Health Care Professions. Pretoria: HPCSA.
South African Government. (2019). Retrieved from Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996- Chapter 2: Bill of Rights: http://www.gov.za./documents/constitution/chapter-2-bill-rights
Western Cape Government. (2019). Retrieved from Patients’ Rights and Responsibilities: http://www.westerncape.gov.za/general-publication/patients-rights-and-responsibilities

3 thoughts on “Your Right or theirs

1. Hay Gowa, was really nice reading your piece! Here is the feedback.
    Content
    – It is a nice piece of what happened but it feels like the content is short and is lacking more information what you could do more, how you felt, if your rights were violated and what would you have done next time?.
    – You could also post a picture to link with your piece.

Argument
    – I did not find much of argument brought up, I think it will be better to expand on the argument of treating the patient.
    – Claims are still need to be made with the arguments, a bit more references will be nice.
    – The flow is good in a logical structure.

References
    – This is still rough, but I think more references and research will make the piece much stronger.

Writing
    -My grammar is bad as well but I think using grammar check in the internet will help it improve.
    Here is one of the links but feel free to search your own.
    https://virtualwritingtutor.com

All in all, I do think it will become a good piece and this is not negative in anyway 🙂
    Thank you and good luck 🙂

2. Hi Gowa,

Thank you for sharing this piece. It is a topic that we discussed in class and I believe is relevant. We often get patients that refuse treatment, and I believe it is our duty to explain why it is beneficial to them and the possible detrimental effects it could have on them if they refuse treatment. More than that, I believe it is the patients decision whether or no to accept treatment or not. To strengthen your argument, you could add something from the HPSCA and what their standpoint is on this matter.

You explained the scenario well and related it to a personal experience. Good referencing, but you could add more to strengthen your argument that it is not only written from a personal viewpoint. in the last paragraph you state ‘Although, the patient have a right to health care and should not be refused’ – I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say with this statement?

Overall, a good writing piece.

3. Hi Gowa, i commented on your post with the annotation feature, please let me know if you are having any difficulties with regards to my comments.
    Good luck